Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What would you do?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

What would you do if you saw a homeless woman who had a kid on the street?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM

She was having a kid on the street? Or she and the kid were on the street?

How do you know they're homeless?

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I agree.  How do you know?  Even if they are asking for money how do you know they are homeless?  I saw a homeless guy in Vegas with a cat this weekend. 

Barabell
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Quoting EireLass:

She was having a kid on the street? Or she and the kid were on the street?

How do you know they're homeless?

I was having the same questions....

Many people that are homeless we don't even recognize in our everyday lives. You can be considered homeless if you're living on friend's couches but not claim any of the friend's places as a residency. Many homeless families with kids live in shelters, and you wouldn't know by walking past them on the street.

I know there are homeless children, but I don't think I've ever seen one begging on a street corner. I've only lived in major capital cities since I was 7.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I've never lived in an area that is conducive to homeless people. All I've ever read/heard about them is they would tend to be near or in cities, as they have to walk everywhere, so convenience is a big factor. They'd have to see a bunch of people to beg from to make it worth their while, such as in a city. I live 18 miles from the closest 'city'....and it's not really a city, it's a tourist area on the ocean.

Barabell
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Quoting EireLass:

I've never lived in an area that is conducive to homeless people. All I've ever read/heard about them is they would tend to be near or in cities, as they have to walk everywhere, so convenience is a big factor. They'd have to see a bunch of people to beg from to make it worth their while, such as in a city. I live 18 miles from the closest 'city'....and it's not really a city, it's a tourist area on the ocean.

When I lived in Phoenix, it was a huge issue there. I saw a lot of people that stayed in parks or begged on street corners. I would hear some of the beggars on the streets would actually have homes, and many would beg with pets to bring in more sympathy. It made it confusing as to who really needed help and who didn't. So instead of giving money to people on street corners, I would give money to the United Way because they helped support the local homeless shelters. Sometimes I would give away my leftovers when I was walking back to work when I worked in downtown Phoenix, but I never gave away cash.

Homeless people or people that couldn't find work would also go through our trash bins at apartment complexes looking for metal to sell. So instead of tossing our cans or recycling them ourselves, we would put them in a bag and place them next to the apartment trash so they didn't have to dig through the trash to find them. I commended those people for still finding a way to bring in money when they couldn't find work.

It's less of a visible problem where I live now, but I still continue to give to the United Way to help support the local charaties in our area--including shelters.

MissJeanne
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I don't give money as there have been several articles about "Homeless" collecting more money in a day than alot of us make in a week.  If I truly believe they are needy I will buy food or prvide some clothes.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I agree. When I lived in MA (most of my life), my son lived in Boston. He told of this particular guy that everyone knew, because he was always in the same spot every day. Near a traffic light intersection, so he could go up to the drivers. Alot of people would give him money. He died a couple years ago, and there was a huge article in the paper, because everyone remembered this guy. They said he was pulling in $60,000/year from begging. !!!!!!!!!

Quoting MissJeanne:

I don't give money as there have been several articles about "Homeless" collecting more money in a day than alot of us make in a week.  If I truly believe they are needy I will buy food or prvide some clothes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)