Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Will football cease to exist in 30 years? (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM
  • 22 Replies

Will football disappear? More concussion lawsuits against NFL

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemy3littles
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM
NFL.. maybe. Football, no.
cowgirlsmommy
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM
No football?! That will be a sad world to live in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2metalbabies
by Jene on May. 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM
I thought they were making helmets that could not only absorb the pressure, but controll, study, and release the pressure of being hit in the head, which should reduce concussions. If there is no nfl, wtf am I supposed to do on Sundays?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Quoting 2metalbabies:

I thought they were making helmets that could not only absorb the pressure, but controll, study, and release the pressure of being hit in the head, which should reduce concussions. If there is no nfl, wtf am I supposed to do on Sundays?

My son plays hockey, and Bauer just came out this month with new helmet technology that sounds like what you described. The damn thing costs $200+ though (without the face mask). I really want it for my son, but can't swing the cost right now. I'm hoping I'll be able to afford it in the next year, before he starts checking in winter 2013-14.

My guess is it would be hard for most Pop Warner families to afford helmets right now that cost that much.

Barabell
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Quoting lovemy3littles:

NFL.. maybe. Football, no.

The concern is that parents and anti-concussion laws will prevent kids from playing, which will eventually wipe out most football--starting at Pop Warner. So I think they're not saying backyard games won't be played, but it may no longer be an organized sport in most places.

Barabell
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

No football?! That will be a sad world to live in.

I used to love watching football, but now that my son plays hockey, football games seem slow to me. But I still enjoy watching it.

Aislinn
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

They will not get rid of football, but they will come up with better helmet technology.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM
I think lawsuits are stupid. Don't give them money for them. You know what you are getting into. IF you get hurt, tough shit. Its the name of the game. It may happen. I do not think they will ever get rid of HS, college, OR pro football.
2metalbabies
by Jene on May. 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM
True, but I know that some colleges and the nfl are using them.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting 2metalbabies:

My son plays hockey, and Bauer just came out this month with new helmet technology that sounds like what you described. The damn thing costs $200+ though (without the face mask). I really want it for my son, but can't swing the cost right now. I'm hoping I'll be able to afford it in the next year, before he starts checking in winter 2013-14.

My guess is it would be hard for most Pop Warner families to afford helmets right now that cost that much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Hope springs eternal, LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN