Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Just got an email (Your child is in a class with a student who has pertussis) 2nd UPDATE

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • 11 Replies

More and more this will be happening.  Seems more and more cases every year of this and measles.  DD got her booster 3 years ago. 

Now today, 3 more cases confirmed at the school.  As long as my kid isn't one of them, I am glad. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ThreeTimesThePi
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Is it more common again because of people choosing not to vax or are the vaccines just not working? I had pertussis in high school(my vax wore off by then before they even had a booster). I gave it to a few kids I didn't know just by sharing a school with them.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I don't think they suggested boosters years ago.  When my youngest that is now a senior was a freshman and my oldest was a senior the school "made" them get boosters for DAPT and chicken pox. 

yayay15
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Most of the kids getting it are vaccinated. These diseases mutate.

Quoting ThreeTimesThePi:

Is it more common again because of people choosing not to vax or are the vaccines just not working? I had pertussis in high school(my vax wore off by then before they even had a booster). I gave it to a few kids I didn't know just by sharing a school with them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silvercrow
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM
4 moms liked this

That's kinda funny since everyone who got it in my daughters high school weren't Vax'd (they send an email home saying that of the 18 cases in the school all were kids who werent vax'd and 2 didnt get their boosters freshman year).. She is up to date on all boosters.. The worst thing she has gotten was Mono in Jr High

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM

The anti vaccination people try and say they don't get the diseases or spread them.  Many of the ones that get it are too young for vaccinations also which is really bad. 

ThreeTimesThePi
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I know when I got it it was before they even had a booster to offer. Mine had worn off. Pertussis was awful and I wouldn't wish it on my enemy. I just keep hearing more cases of pertussis and measles and have to wonder if it is linked to the new fad of not vaccing.

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM

133 cases in the Milwaukee area.  2 at my dd's school and 2 other possible cases. 

jennient3
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM

just went throug this in my house

hubby had it ...still coughing, didnt know we should update until it was too late

cdc even called me, to make sure the whole family had been put on anitbiotics and asked us to stay home until we completed the course of antibiotics, kids schools were informed even though they had negative tests

several have had it in my area

your best defense it keeping up to date ont he vaccine

if you are not sure...look at youtube videos, the cough is completely different from others

it can be deadly to young ones

or those that have other health problems

oh and my husband was told by several doctors, as annoying and scary as his cough still is, it lasts 100 days, and he would be worse off if he had never gotten the vaccine to begin with

SO i believe in vaccines :)

unspecified42
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM

There were several confirmed cases at my son's school just recently. I'm really hoping he doesn't get it because we had a really rough time getting his asthma under control last year.

LyTe684
by Tasha on May. 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM
Ugh. Nightmare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)