Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poor Thing (PIOG) **UPDATE He is gone

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I got a dog within a year of getting married.  The dog, Ralphie, is 13 years old, he is a big dog - 70+ pounds.  He has always been a part of DD's and DS's lives.  DH and I could tell in the past year he has been going down hill.  We took him to the vet for his regular check up about a week and a half ago.  The vet gave us some pain pills for him because his back legs don't work right.  He has grudgingly done stairs for a week or so.  Tonight he really did not want to do them and as the night went on it was harder and harder for him to even stand up.  He can not get out of the house without going down steps, front, back or garage.

We will call the vet in the morning.  We tried to leave a message tonight but their message gave the vets home number to call if an emergancy.  At this point it is not an emergancy.  But I don't think he is long for this world.  We told DD tonight that Ralphie may not be here when she gets home from school.  She and DS both know he is old and may be going.  We have even been talking with them about what kind of dog they would like us to get for about six months.

We knew this was going to happen sooner then later, so why is it so hard knowing the time may have come?

UPDATE on 5/15 at 2:15

Well, we did the best for him.  He is no longer in pain.  DS(4 years old) has already asked if he will now get small again so we can start over with him as a puppy?  How does one answer that question.  The vet said it appeared to be nerve deterioration or severe arthritis.  We could try other things to prolong his life but who is to say we would be going through this again in 2 weeks - month?  It basically came to quality of life.  With his legs not working, he has no life.  We felt he had lived a long happy life, so why keep him miserable for a few weeks just because?  So we made the choice that even the vet later said was the best choice for Ralphie.

by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Replies (21-21):
tarakay0417
by on May. 21, 2012 at 8:23 AM
I am so sorry for yor loss.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)