Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Meet CafeMom's Featured Mom: marie802

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM
  • 25 Replies
3 moms liked this

CafeMom is excited to announce a way we're featuring many of our terrific moms. Selected moms will respond to our "Mom of the Day" interview questions, and their interviews will then be posted in the group that they spend the most time in.

Our current featured mom, marie802, spends most of her time in the January 2012 Babies group.

1. What has been your defining moment as a mom so far?

I only have one son so far, he is three and a half months old, but my most defining moment as a mom so far would definitely have to be the first time I held him in my arms! There is no better feeling in the world, and no other way you can feel greater than for when you hold your baby in your arms for the first time, especially as a new mother!

2. What group do you most frequently hang out in on CafeMom?

Hands down, the January 2012 due date group. The ladies in the group are incredible. I feel so close to them, even though it's online! I can get any advice and talk to them about anything at all, and not feel judged. I love that group.

3. What do you like most about CafeMom? 

I like how there's so many moms on here and I've talked to a lot of great people on here! During my pregnancy (with my first) I had so many concerns and questions, and I didn't really have a lot of people in real life who could help me, but I got a lot of reassurance and support, and even now that my sons born, I still have questions, and I definitely feel like I get great support and any advice I may need, still!

4. A mom's spare time is precious (if it exists at all!). How do you spend yours? (Aside from on CafeMom, of course.)

I spend my time relaxing as much as possible in my spare time (after my sons asleep!) just laying down or listening to music, or working out. Also, sometimes during my son's naps, my mom will watch him and I get to sneak out and go riding for a bit.

5. What are your favorites:

Book: Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. I know this is a child's book, but it has always been a favorite of mine.

Movie: Dear John. I love romance movies, and I thought this movie was great.

Song: I have way too many favorites, but one of my top favorites would have to be 'God gave me you' by Blake Shelton. It makes me think of my son a lot and I listened to it during pregnancy all the time.

Food:  Chinese

Place to travel to: the Ocean. It's so peaceful there, I love it. Or anywhere on horseback, on a trail ride. Riding is so relaxing.

6. Which celebrity mom would you most like to hang out with, and why?

Tori Spelling! I use to watch her show all the time when she was expecting with her son. Now she has 3 kids and I really think she's a great mom.

7. If you could give a new mom one piece of advice, what would it be?

Enjoy time to yourself and sleep while you can!

8. If you had to choose, what single word best sums you up?

Caring.

9. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? And if you work, what's your job?

I wanted to be many different things growing up. I eventually want to become an Equine Therapist. I would love to be an OB, though, or just simply work at a daycare. I'm a stay at home mom right now.

10. If you could trade places with any one person for a day, who would it be?

Probably Tori Spelling, because she's a great mom and seems to have a wonderful life with her husband. Plus, I'd love to see what it'd be like with two more kids, because I plan on having two more in the future.

Now answer her question for YOU:

What do you think of now-a-days with children and all the electronics? Do you feel kids should be outside getting exercise more, instead of playing video games or listening to their iPods while on the Internet? 

by on May. 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Malice113
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM

i think it's sad how much technology has sapped the imagination and desire to play from children. i remember growing up we didnt have more than five tv channels or computer games other than solitaire, freecell and minesweeper. even with those we never played them, if we went on the computer it was to use the paint program and only if we were making a birthday card or something for someone else. i dont want my daughter to end up glued to a television or a computer so as soon as she gets older and asks for a facebook or to have a computer or watching tv, i'm deactivating my own facebook, putting away the computer, and turning off the tv. what ever happened to the days when there was such a thing as family tv night? when the whole family would sit down to watch one movie or program? i miss the days before kids spent 18 hours a day watching television or playing video games. my hope for my daughter is that she can be an active kid, she will actually have her own imagination, go riding, fishing, or play with the dogs or just do whatever she wants to outside.

Shanon1
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Yeahh; vid games & listening to music is good but must be balanced w/ outside time. 

JennikNan
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:07 AM
I think it's important for kids to go out side and play, you need the fresh air. I will let my three yr old watch movies and play on the computer thought too. But he spends lots of time outside you need the healthy balance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Love your pic! What a sweet baby :)

I hate all the electronics these days. Kids and men alike stare at them all day long :(

jeffsgirl9
by on May. 16, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I don't like all of the electronics. It's tough seeing a kid sit down and play video games or being 'babysat/taught' by a television. Leap pads are a great way of learning to read without them even knowing it but they can only teach your kid so much ya know? I don't want my daughter just stuck with electronics. I want her to run around, get dirty and be a kid because you don't stay little forever. Even the kids I watch, I try to get them off the electronics and to the park or outside or making crafts.

nsanti
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I don't think kids are being kids anymore. When we say "Go out and play", we mean go out and run around, etc. They take it to mean Take your ipod, your laptop out and sit on the pic nic table and skype with someone while drinking 2 redbulls." Now, we have a huge obesity problem problem with younger kids today--partly d/t technology and partly d/t lazy parents 1) who don't say no to their kids and make them go out and exercise and 2) use tech. as a crutch sometimes as their babysitter.

anjones09
by New Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad you're featured mom! You know the Jan group loves you too!!

I definetly feel like kids spend too much time playing video games and watching Tv. When I was little all we had to do was play outside! I loved riding my bike and jumping on the trampoline and playing sports. I plan on teaching ds to spread his time out between enjoying the outdoors and electronics. You can have both in moderation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EllesMomma7
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this
Represent January babies!!!! Woot!!!!!!
BDC
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Congrats girly!
As far as your question, my dh is as technical administrator so technology has and will always be a huge part of our lives. My children like their leap pads,nintendo ds, my oldest always asks us if she can have our iPhones, iPad... That being said they also spend their time running around outside. They love to play tag, to swing, play in the sandbox, or their little pool. We plan on offering a wide range of activities to our children. Anything from playing the guitar to riding on the tractor with their uncle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Love your answer to number 2 ;)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN