Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is your mom on social media or is it you?

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:00 AM
  • 5 Replies

This Is Your Mom on Social Media [INFOGRAPHIC]

Social media: It’s not just for college kids anymore. Families use Facebook to stay in touch across generations. Friends well into middle age share photos on Instagram. There’s even an 80-year-old grandmother on a quest for 80,000 Twitter followers.

But how does social media’s widening reach affect the family unit? The brand-engagement firm GMR Marketing recently polled about 1,000 moms and kids to see how social media has penetrated family life and affected mother and child relationships.

More families have three generations on social media than just one, according to GMR’s findings, speaking again to its increasing ubiquity. But there is a certain awkwardness in having so many family members online.

While more than three-quarters of moms said they’d “definitely” accept a friend request from their child, just 43% of kids said they’d do the same. And twice as many kids and moms — 18% to 9% — said they’d have to hide some photos or other information before making things official on Facebook.

SEE ALSO: The Rise of the Mommy Blogger [INFOGRAPHIC]

Teenagers are also much more shy about broadcasting their family connections via social media. Nearly twice as many moms as kids — 29% to 16% — said they use public messages on networks such as Facebook and Twitter to communicate with family members. Teens prefer to use private messages more than parents do, 39% to 31%.

Check out the infographic below to see the survey’s full results. Are you connected to your child online, and how do you navigate that relationship? Let us know in the comments.

The PhOtObOoTh!  A FuN group full of
contests, challenges, showdowns etc........
If you Love Photography you will Love this!

by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Punkie74
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Not exactly shocking information! LOL

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM

My kids talked me into joining FaceBook. Now all their friends have friended me. Can't be too bad.

jerzeetomato
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM

My daughter and I are friends on FB, my son and I are not.  He's 18 now and about to graduate high school, so he is entitled to some privacy.  His page is not blocked from me, so I can see some of what is going on without being too close.  Alot of DD's friends have added me as a friend, which is nice.  Again, I try to keep an eye on things without helicoptering too much.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM
My mom wouldn't know social media if it smacked her in the face! LOL I'm everything though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I'm on Facebook, but rarely use it.

My son has a Facebook account too, but he uses it even less than I use mine.

My husband, my mom, and my dad are NOT on Facebook.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)