Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Our Allergies Might Be Cured for Good If We All Just Played in the Dirt - Do your kids have allergies?

Cafe Steph
Today at 10:22 AM
Confession time: Who would YOU choose? - CafeMom

If you could sleep with one famous person, who would it be? (for the sake of discussion, you're both single)I think pret

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

Our Allergies Might Be Cured for Good If We All Just Played in the Dirt

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on May 16, 2012 

I love my friend Joan (not her real name) but I hate going to dinner with her. This is because Joan is allergic to fish. She's also allergic to any kind of nut. Also to mustard. And a bunch of other foods. Let's just say finding a place for us to eat is an or-deeee-al. But I feel really bad for her. This isn't just an allergy that will make her sneeze, she could die if she eats the wrong thing.

And there are a lot of people just like my friend. May is the month to be aware of them since it's National Asthma and Allergy Awareness month. In fact, if you're reading this, there's a good chance you have allergies or asthma, because 50 million Americans have them. That's one out of every 16 people. A-choo!

And asthma and allergies are an epidemic with our kids. Asthma is the leading cause of school absenteeism. From 1980 to 1984, there was a 160 percent increase in children under 5 who had allergies. Kids with allergies are so common that there's a line of T-shirts for them.

I'm happy to say that I'm one of the few people I know who has no allergies. Not to any food, no medications, no pollen, no animals, nothing. At least, not that I've become aware of yet. I grew up running around outside, dirty as a hog in mud, with dozens of pets. Could there be some correlation between that and my lack of allergies?

Some studies have pointed to our overuse of anti-bacterial soaps, hand sanitizers, and other cleanliness products as a culprit in the allergy epidemic. We may have decreased our capacity to fight off germs. All of the germ killer means we're not giving ourselves the chance to build up an immunity to germs. Of course, there are plenty of other theories -- like increased pollution and processed foods.

When I was a kid, which wasn't that long ago, I knew one girl in our entire school who had asthma. I didn't know anyone with a food allergy. That doesn't mean they didn't exist, but I didn't know them or hear about them. Now, you'd have to have your head in the sand not to know a kid with asthma or allergies.

And maybe that is what we should all do with our kids? Stick them in the sand. And not wash their hands afterwards. Unless, of course, they have an allergy to sand.

Do your kids have allergies? What are you theories about the increase in them?

by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I have none. My kids have none. Me and my kids (31 & 29) don't even get the common cold. We were always big dirt players. haha.

Shellness
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Food allergies are different than seasonal allergies. No amount of dirt will help them. You can't grow out of them either.

Hottmomma607
by Trica on May. 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM
My family doesn't suffer from food allergies,thankfully. But me,DH&DS 10yo have seasonal allergies. DH still cuts the grass,regularly,son still plays outside. I take a pill and sit in the backyard or go to the park.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silvercrow
by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM

All my kids play in the dirt, sand Mud and muck i have one with very well controlled Asthma and we all have seasonal Allergies... But not bad enough to need medication very often..

kokyuhomama
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:59 PM

We love the dirt, and no allergies yet.  My dh and his mom have awful seasonal allergies though,.

2metalbabies
by Jene on May. 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I'm allergic to penicillin, bee stings, anything that smells floral & flowers, and cheap purfume with a high alcohol content. My oldest has seasonal allergies. My youngest was a baby, she would throw up if she had baby food with blueberries in it, but now she can eat blue berries with no problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tisha1115
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I have all kinds of allergies as does my sister...we played in the dirt all the time, brought home frogs, snakes, and bluegill (fish). We swam in a quarry, Lake Erie, and public pools. Allergies are NOT caused my being to clean, however, illnesses are

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I had bad allergies but took shots for 3 years.  I played in the dirt too, lol. 

One of my dd's has some mild allergies.  She played in the dirty too. 

MrsSamMerlotte
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM
I thought there would be some.scientific evidence, or at least a good theory here... I doubt dirt has anything to do with alergies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has seasonal allergies. He's had them since he was an infant, and that surprised his pediatrician.

I found the more I'm exposed to my allergens that they eventually go away in most cases. I have seasonal allergies since moving, but every year they affect me less. I am also allergic to pets, but it's not so bad as long as I own a pet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)