CLARKSON, Idaho - An Idaho man's trip to the Walmart garden center ended with a journey to the emergency room.
Mica Craig says he was reaching down to pick up what he thought was a stick so he could read a mulch display. Instead, he learned it was a small rattlesnake after his hand was bit.
"I didn't know if i was going to die or not," Craig said.
The frightened customer says there was no rattle sound, no markings or anything that would have tipped him off to the snake's presence. Once it had latched onto his finger the snake did not want to let go.
"I went to sling it off and it stayed on. I just hand to sling it off twice and when it hit the ground it curled up," Craig recalled.
A fellow customer saw what happened and rushed Craig to the hospital, where he was treated for the bite.
Fish and Wildlife officials believe the snake likely slithered in from a nearby field and was sunning himself on the wooden pallets that held the mulch.