Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

4 yr old potty problem

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok, so I have a problem with my 4 yr old girl. She is fully potty trained but within the last 2 weeks she has been peeing her pants almost once a day. I am so frustrated with her. She knows what she is doing so there for she does get into trouble. She is not lacking any attention so I dont know what is happening. She is lying about it too. I have called the doctor and I am waiting on a call back but in the mean time I need some opinions.

by on May. 24, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LuLuRex
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I would keep trying to get her to tell you why it's happening. Hopefully the doctor has good input.

Barabell
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I think this is a somewhat common things for kids to do at that age. My son did it, and I found through CM that it's not that unusual. My son was 5 though when he went through that stage.

It is a good idea to rule out her having a medical issue though.

Just continue to reinforce it. It seems to be that it's usually that they're too focused on what they're doing and forget they have to go to the bathroom until it's too late.

Trae36
by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM

My daughter went through this around the age of 3. I took her the doctor and she got a clean bill of health. The doctor did ask me though if anything "drastic" had recently changed in her life and I explained to him that we had just moved clear across the country. He said that a lot of toddlers will revert back to potty issues when they are stressed out, depressed, or scared because they don't know how to communicate those feelings. She would hide her clothes, hide her sheets if she wet the bed the whole nine. Eventually once she got used to the changes she grew out of it. Good Luck

Jenner8
by on May. 24, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Mine is 4 and has been doing the same thing off and on for a few weeks now.  Medically she checked out fine, nothing new gong on since this started.  I'm back to making her go every hour, but even that isn't working... wish I had some advice!

Luckymishy
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 7:31 PM

We went to see the doctor and she is clean and fine. She said that toddlers and preschoolers get stressed just like we do and that she has prob got stressed out about something and doesnt know how to express it. She said to keep checking with her and kids usually revert back. She said if it doesnt go away in a month to bring her back. Idk, I just pray she stops wetting herself and is back to her usual self.

Barabell
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Quoting Trae36:

My daughter went through this around the age of 3. I took her the doctor and she got a clean bill of health. The doctor did ask me though if anything "drastic" had recently changed in her life and I explained to him that we had just moved clear across the country. He said that a lot of toddlers will revert back to potty issues when they are stressed out, depressed, or scared because they don't know how to communicate those feelings. She would hide her clothes, hide her sheets if she wet the bed the whole nine. Eventually once she got used to the changes she grew out of it. Good Luck

My son's issue was stress related too, also from a cross-country move.

MissJeanne
by on May. 25, 2012 at 10:56 AM

MY ODD and a grandson did it at this age, just didn't want to stop playing to go to potty, ODD din't like being wet, so would take off panties and leave them, she was wearing dresses, Grandson was different, we would see the wet spot growing while  he was playing, his Mom would ten hustle him to potty, lasted f several weeks.

MIA0223
by Michelle on May. 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM
It may be a UTI.
DD is also 4 and every time she pees herself I know it's a UTI! Right every time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)