Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Gwen Stefani Dyes Her 5-Year-Old Son's Hair Despite Health Risks - When do you think kids are old enough to start having their hair dyed?

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM
  • 18 Replies

Gwen Stefani Dyes Her 5-Year-Old Son's Hair Despite Health Risks

Posted by Jeanne Sager on May 23, 2012

Kingston RossdaleGwen Stefani's son's latest dye jobGwen Stefani has always been one of my favorite celebrity moms. She has a killer voice, rocking style, and the day her kids' clothing line started showing up in Target ranks right up there on the short list of best days for mothers of little girls who fancy themselves fashionistas. But please, for the love of Mike, would she stop dyeing her kid's hair?

Every time I catch a glimpse of 5-year-old son Kingston in the news, he has a new 'do in a new hue. Awhile back it was a blue mohawk. This week it's bleach blond. Yikes! Doesn't Gwen know what that stuff can do to a kid?

Hair dyes can contain everything from coal tar, which has been linked to cancer, to parabens, which have been linked to endocrine system disruption. They fall on the list of "problem beauty products" that non-profit watchdog the Environmental Working Group suggest avoiding, especially with your kids.

As cute as little Kingston looks, that's enough to scare me out of letting that stuff anywhere near my kid's hair and thoroughly regret the number of things I did to my head as a teenager.

More from The Stir: Alicia Silverstone’s Gross Baby Feeding Method Is Cry for Attention -- We Hope!? (VIDEO)

I'm not trying to be a grinch here. I'm all about creative expression with kids, and the way I see it, hair is one of the best parts of their body where a kid can show off their own style. In a few months time, a bad haircut has grown out. It's not permanent like a tattoo.

But our kids only get one chance at a healthy childhood. Holding off on the dye doesn't seem that hard to me.

If they have a colorful spirit like Gwen's kid, there are some safe alternatives for kids. Unlike Kingston's blond dye job, which you can see has begun to grow out, you have to accept that most won't last long. Although I look at it the way I do those wash-off tattoos: the inconvenience is a fair trade-off for safety.

Squeeze fresh lemon juice on their hair, and send them out in the sun (with a safe sunscreen on the skin, of course!). Try a clip-on of colored synthetic hair. I've also heard you can get non-toxic chunks of colored sidewalk chalk wet, then use it to coat a child's dry hair for "dye" that will last through until they shampoo.

When do you think kids are old enough to start having their hair dyed?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jamie1972
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Anout 12 or so. Was 13 first time I dyed my hair. Also sme time I started perming it too. Stupid 80 fashion trends lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RhyneX2
by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I'm not one to judge, how does anyone know she dyed his hair? There's temporary colors which do no harm, Kool-aid, and food coloring. His hair went back to blonde, my sons hair looks like it's been bleached because the roots are darker than the ends, but I've never once bleached hishair.

Perfect.Pixie
by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM
I don't think its a big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM

The only reason my kids have normal colored hair right now is because we have two large events in the next few weeks. As soon as those are over, I am sure the girls will go back to their normally rainbow-hued looks.....I use temporary dye but it is often blue, pink, purple, green, etc....I don't do bleach until they are 13 or so.....

babie113
by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:28 PM
I was 14
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I think temp dyes and more natural dyes are fine for younger kids. I don't see the big deal.

Connie04
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Well, rock stars are a different breed and they are going to be a lot edgier than your average parent.  But, I don't think it's a good idea to dye a kid's hair at such a young age.  I think hair dying can wait until at least mid to late teens and then only highlights.  I'm a bit old-fashioned and believe that kids should look like kids, not miniature adults.   

MrsImperfect
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM
I agree with this. In the summer ppl ask me if I dye my kids hair cause it looks the same as his. But I don't.

Quoting RhyneX2:

I'm not one to judge, how does anyone know she dyed his hair? There's temporary colors which do no harm, Kool-aid, and food coloring. His hair went back to blonde, my sons hair looks like it's been bleached because the roots are darker than the ends, but I've never once bleached hishair.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silvercrow
by on May. 25, 2012 at 7:04 AM

i waited till 1yr after my oldest had her period because when she was younger and wanted her hair dyed that's what i was told by a stylist.. Now i have had 5 different stylists from 5 difference Salons tell me that the chemicals and such used on children's hair are safer then they use to be and i can do it as early as 9 (which is how old my middle girl is and wants her hair done) I just Bleached and Dyed my 16yrs hair (made a post about it too) I say honestly do what your comfortable with.

DBKUGirl
by on May. 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM
I totally agree, how does anyone know that they're not temporary?? And if he is in the sun a lot, his hair could look bleached. I live in MN, once the kids are inside again, their hair looks like this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)