Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Gwen Stefani Dyes Her 5-Year-Old Son's Hair Despite Health Risks - When do you think kids are old enough to start having their hair dyed?

Posted by   + Show Post

Gwen Stefani Dyes Her 5-Year-Old Son's Hair Despite Health Risks

Posted by Jeanne Sager on May 23, 2012

Kingston RossdaleGwen Stefani's son's latest dye jobGwen Stefani has always been one of my favorite celebrity moms. She has a killer voice, rocking style, and the day her kids' clothing line started showing up in Target ranks right up there on the short list of best days for mothers of little girls who fancy themselves fashionistas. But please, for the love of Mike, would she stop dyeing her kid's hair?

Every time I catch a glimpse of 5-year-old son Kingston in the news, he has a new 'do in a new hue. Awhile back it was a blue mohawk. This week it's bleach blond. Yikes! Doesn't Gwen know what that stuff can do to a kid?

Hair dyes can contain everything from coal tar, which has been linked to cancer, to parabens, which have been linked to endocrine system disruption. They fall on the list of "problem beauty products" that non-profit watchdog the Environmental Working Group suggest avoiding, especially with your kids.

As cute as little Kingston looks, that's enough to scare me out of letting that stuff anywhere near my kid's hair and thoroughly regret the number of things I did to my head as a teenager.

More from The Stir: Alicia Silverstone’s Gross Baby Feeding Method Is Cry for Attention -- We Hope!? (VIDEO)

I'm not trying to be a grinch here. I'm all about creative expression with kids, and the way I see it, hair is one of the best parts of their body where a kid can show off their own style. In a few months time, a bad haircut has grown out. It's not permanent like a tattoo.

But our kids only get one chance at a healthy childhood. Holding off on the dye doesn't seem that hard to me.

If they have a colorful spirit like Gwen's kid, there are some safe alternatives for kids. Unlike Kingston's blond dye job, which you can see has begun to grow out, you have to accept that most won't last long. Although I look at it the way I do those wash-off tattoos: the inconvenience is a fair trade-off for safety.

Squeeze fresh lemon juice on their hair, and send them out in the sun (with a safe sunscreen on the skin, of course!). Try a clip-on of colored synthetic hair. I've also heard you can get non-toxic chunks of colored sidewalk chalk wet, then use it to coat a child's dry hair for "dye" that will last through until they shampoo.

When do you think kids are old enough to start having their hair dyed?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Replies (11-18):
yourpassion
by on May. 25, 2012 at 7:13 AM
I think everyone can do what they want. I hope my daughter wants to have some cool funky hair when she's older!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by on May. 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Ah yes, I remember them well!  LOL  I definitely loved my big 80s hair!!

Quoting Jamie1972:

Anout 12 or so. Was 13 first time I dyed my hair. Also sme time I started perming it too. Stupid 80 fashion trends lol.

jerzeetomato
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM

DD wants to add pink to her hair.  She's 14.  I told her she has to wait until school is over, since her 8th grade semi is coming up and I want pictures of her all dressed up with her beautiful golden locks.

Blondemom77
by on May. 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM

If it's temporary , its fine. My oldest has feathers in her hair , lol , but no hair dye yet. Not that I don't allow her , she doesn't ask for it , so neither am I. But I say 15-16 is fine. 

do11face
by on May. 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I don't think it's a big deal.
Many of the bright color dyes are not toxic.

I was 15 when i first dyed my hair.

Angeleyes_6
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM
I prefer my kids never "change" how they look. But my daughter wanted to dye her hair and I let her once she turn 16.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:27 PM
That's what I thought. She's super rich, she could afford some super expensive, all natural, all organic dye that is not harmful at all. Probably what she used. Damn, people are bored and have nothing better to write about.

Quoting RhyneX2:

I'm not one to judge, how does anyone know she dyed his hair? There's temporary colors which do no harm, Kool-aid, and food coloring. His hair went back to blonde, my sons hair looks like it's been bleached because the roots are darker than the ends, but I've never once bleached hishair.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blueyedblondoll
by on May. 26, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I bleached the tips of my sons hair when he was 5 and the ends of my daughters blond hair pink when she was 3.  they were all safe.  Kids are exposed to more harmful things just walking outside anymore.  Even using a Mr Clean Magic Eraser can cause severe damage to their skin if they use them.  It's hair.  It grows out, and it can be cut out.  I don't make a practice of dying my childrens hair granted, since then I have kept my boys hair short and my daughter rather have a feather or pink extension in her hair than dye.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN