Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

So what would you do... **UPDATE** *Another Update*

Posted by on May. 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

if you have a 16 year old stepson, Jake, who lives in Ohio with his mother and her fiance. This boy was choked by the stepdad on Mothers Day because he had a dispute with his mother. The mother approved of the choking and told him that it's a good life lesson for him but if he tells anyone, she's going to report him to police as an unruly child, like she has with his older brother in the past. 

Now mind you, this boy has the mentality of a 12 or 13 year old and is scared to death of his mother and the fiance'. The fiance' has been convicted for violence against an elderly man, this year, while he was a council member where he lived. 

Now, here's the thing. The school counsler is aware of the abuse in that house because he was the counselor for the older brother and we convince Jake, the 16 y/o, to speak with the counselor months ago, so he's been on top of him and the counselor has spoken with the school principal and emailed us about it. The counselor called CPS once and CPS turned it against the school as if they were the bad guys. We've called CPS before and they've said it was a civil matter and refused to investigate. Jake has called CPS and a CPS investigator has shown up with a police officer just for the officer to threaten Jake and tell him that if he's lying, he'll go to jail. Needless to say, Jake has just clammed up. Every turn he's taken, they turn their backs on him. We even filed for an emergency hearing once and the judge denied a change in custody.  Jake is so afraid that he told my husband that he sleeps with a knife beside his bed. 

Jake really wants to live with us and I don't know what the deal is that no one will do anything to the mother. She is a paralegal but not sure in what town. Right now, we have our activist writing a letter to the police chief, the congressman and the Judge that denied the change of placement. My fear is that they will say it's Jake's word against the mother and stepdad, which will only keep him in that house and more retribution against him. 

Let me also add that mom has blocked dad's number and mine from Jake's cell so that we can't call him or text him. Of course, we can email him a text and he'll receive it but this is the extreme of the woman's insanity. 

5/29: Our Activists letter made it to the CHIEF OF POLICE in that County along with 2 of Jake's letters. The chief called and stated that he was going to call CPS and they would go to the school tomorrow, with the Counselor present to speak with Jake and that he wasn't going to let this slide.  We can only pray that CPS actually does something this time. 

5/30: So CPS showed up with police and interviewed Jake and the counselor. The Mayor works at the school and with the Mayor, Counselor AND Chief of Police backing Jake up.. CPS did NOTHING.. They said that there was not enough evidence. What do they need the child in ICU or dead? Apparently so. Needless to say, Jake refused to go home and the counselor didn't want Jake going home, someone must have said something that they went to interview the mother and boyfriend. They have reopened the case long enough to say they did something and will likely close it with no resolution. I'm certainly not holding my breath. They want Jake to go to the grandmother's house, which is just as bad in the abuse dept and he said as much. He stated that he wants to go to my MIL's house and they won't allow him to. Again, Ohio CPS is useless unless the allegations are against the father. Then they don't need more evidence. 

by on May. 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steveiguana
by on May. 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

just keep letting him know that you are there for him and keep good documentation of everything

m3lissa_16
by on May. 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Aren't kids allowed to choose which parent they live with at the age of 12? Or is that only certain states?

LyTe684
by Tasha on May. 28, 2012 at 9:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting m3lissa_16:

Aren't kids allowed to choose which parent they live with at the age of 12? Or is that only certain states?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GOBryan
by on May. 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM

They are allowed to state their wishes but the judge can over rule it, and they have. There's politics involved and since we live in Florida, Ohio doesn't want to lose jurisdiction so they will not allow him to live with dad. I've seen it happen with parents who live in separate states before. Ohio is a very bias state against fathers and very pro-mom, regardless of the situation. With so many complaints, evidence and they still refuse. The father, in Ohio is damned either ways. If they try to see the child, they are told not to bother and if they don't then they are considered absentee parents. The oldest is now 19 and an angry adult that was an Honor Role student, so they never suspected family problems until he ended up in juve' at 17. He even requested to live with dad and the judge denied it. Mind you, we even have a letter of recommendation from CPS in Florida but none of that amounted to anything. 

Quoting LyTe684:

I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting m3lissa_16:

jerzeetomato
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM
I'm sorry. Custody issues can be impossible to resolve between states. I hope for the boys sake you can figure something out. And make sure he maintains that contact with the counselor. It will be beneficial to have some positive support right there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danie90
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Buy him cameras that he can hide around his room or even his house so it can't be his word against their word.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I have no advice but best wishes that things are resolved.

GOBryan
by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Yes, it is. The system is about money, not the kids. The counselor can only help this week since they will be out of school after that, so we need to act fast. 

Quoting jerzeetomato:

I'm sorry. Custody issues can be impossible to resolve between states. I hope for the boys sake you can figure something out. And make sure he maintains that contact with the counselor. It will be beneficial to have some positive support right there

GOBryan
by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:35 AM

He wouldn't know what to do with them. We even told him to use his cell phone to record but he's not sharp. We'll just have to hope for the best and report another incident just in case anything happens. I don't hold my breath that the officials will do anything for him. 

Quoting Danie90:

Buy him cameras that he can hide around his room or even his house so it can't be his word against their word.

Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2012 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Call the police, your local news channel it's sad when the system won't protect the children. @lease keep us updated and let us know what happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN