Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Pit bull rips off boy's scalp

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:21 AM
  • 18 Replies

Boy attacked by pit bull explains how he got away

2:46

Kenneth Allen in the hospital (Source: Facebook.com)
Kenneth Allen in the hospital (Source: Facebook.com)
ROCK HILL, SC (WBTV) -

An 11-year-old boy is talking from his hospital bed after he was attacked by his neighbor's pit bull in Rock Hill and had a large section of his scalp ripped from his head.

More News:

According to a York County Sheriff's Office report, deputies were called to a home along the 2000 block of Ridgecrest Road in Rock Hill on Wednesday evening around 6:49 p.m.

Deputies say Kenneth Allen, 11, had gone to his neighbor's home to borrow a blender. As he entered the neighbor's yard, the woman's two-year-old pit bull, Dallas, broke the clamp of the cable he was attached too and lunged at Kenneth.

The young boy was attacked and suffered severe injuries to his right hand and arm. According to the report, "a large section of scalp was torn from the back of his head."

"When he was pulling me, it felt like there were five million hooks and it was pulling my skin off," Kenneth told WBTV from his hospital room, just hours before he was set to under surgery.

He said the dog just popped out of the woods and attacked him. He managed to fight the dog off and run home, bloodied and bruised.

"It's one of the most terrifying things a father could ever see," Ken Allen, Kenneth Allen's father said. "I'm looking you know and he kept running, scared of the dog obviously and when he passed me, I saw the back and I just dropped out, I've never seen something like that before."

Kenneth was transported by emergency crews to the Bethesda No. 2 fire station, where he was airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte.  He was listed in "Good" condition as of Thursday night.

Deputies say the initial attack appeared to have started in the driveway and deputies found a four-inch square of Kenneth's scalp in the yard nearby. They gave it to emergency crews in case it could be reattached, the report states.

Deputies noted in the report that when they arrived at the home, the pit bull lunged at them and it "took some time to get it under control."

AJ Smith, the dog owner, told deputies that the dog normally stayed inside the home, but that he had left it outside because the weather was nice.

"I was so sorry to hear about what happened. And if I would have been home, I probably would have put the dog down too," Smith said. "I broke down in tears and started crying, told Kenny's dad 'I'm so sorry'."

The pit bull was signed over to Animal Control, the report states.

Smith's girlfriend, who also owned the dog, was issued a citation for violation of the county Animal Control Ordinance.

Steve Stuber with Animal Control told WBTV that the pit bull was euthanized on Thursday morning due to the vicious nature of the attack.

The animal's body was sent to Columbia to be tested for rabies.

Kenny's family says their not harboring any hard feelings against the dog's owner, instead, the family is focused on his lengthy recovery.

"It's stressful to figure out how I'm going to take care of this, but we just let it be in God's hand," Kenny Sr said. "That's all we can do."

From his hospital bed, little Kenny smiled.

"God will help me now. I'm okay.

The PhOtObOoTh!  A FuN group full of
contests, challenges, showdowns etc........
If you Love Photography you will Love this!

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maciymommieof3
by Angie on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM

really sad...you wonder how the dog can "break through" a chain?

thatgirl70
by Carin on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Quoting maciymommieof3:

You ever see how strong they are? Very powerful muscles.

Rockabye
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Very easily. We had a blue/ red heeler and he went through at least 10 chains in a couple years. We used all types of chains too finally started using those logging chains. If they didn't normally keep the dog on a chain they wouldn't have seen the need to have a huge chain

Quoting maciymommieof3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsyMom2012
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:21 PM

This is very unfortunate... What I did not read in this situation was that the dog got out of the fence or yard. I do not blame the child as they cannot possibly be expected to use common sense or intelligent thought when it comes to dogs or property but what was this child doing in his neighbors yard? Why did he not go to the front yard? This dog was put down because this child was not properly educated about respecting boundaries or property requirements. 

I am saddned to read that this whole situation had transpired and I wish things like this weren't such news. I am certain that if Dallas had been a different breed, the post would have said, "As he entered the neighbor's yard, the woman's two-year-old DOG, Dallas, broke the clamp of the cable he was attached too and lunged at Kenneth."  Unfortunately, Pit Bulls bring in too much media attention and will always be used to make headlines therefore tey will always be used until there is a breed that is even more evil than mine. 

angelbabies11
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:24 PM
That's why I'm scared of pit bulls. I will never own one. JMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uhura
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel sorry for the boy, but i feel really sorry for the dog as well. The dog was probably trained/bred to be aggressive and the owner is a dipshit..

Good job, more bad press against a dog breed that most people hate already.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

mariesmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:04 AM

pit bulls do not need to be trained to be aggressive my sis in law had one that wasnt trained at all which he was dumb enough to bite the mailman and got put down

yayay15
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Where was the news report when the Black Lab destroyed my friends, sons, face?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM
They didnt specify what part of the yard he went through. If the boy lives in the country like it sounds there's woods all around and they said the dig came from there... So the dog could have very well been in the back yard in the woods on a chain and broke off and went around to the front. The kid was expecting to be inside where the owners could keep control.

Quoting GypsyMom2012:

This is very unfortunate... What I did not read in this situation was that the dog got out of the fence or yard. I do not blame the child as they cannot possibly be expected to use common sense or intelligent thought when it comes to dogs or property but what was this child doing in his neighbors yard? Why did he not go to the front yard? This dog was put down because this child was not properly educated about respecting boundaries or property requirements. 

I am saddned to read that this whole situation had transpired and I wish things like this weren't such news. I am certain that if Dallas had been a different breed, the post would have said, "As he entered the neighbor's yard, the woman's two-year-old DOG, Dallas, broke the clamp of the cable he was attached too and lunged at Kenneth."  Unfortunately, Pit Bulls bring in too much media attention and will always be used to make headlines therefore tey will always be used until there is a breed that is even more evil than mine. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GypsyMom2012
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM

If you had reported it as a pit bull, they would have been all over it like white on rice. 

Quoting yayay15:

Where was the news report when the Black Lab destroyed my friends, sons, face?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)