Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How bad is it that I...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM
  • 50 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you ever zillowed to see what someone's house is worth or looked up a gov't employee's salary?

Options:

yes

no, it feels beneath me

no, never knew I could!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 307

View Results

I zillowed a few people's addresses to see what their houses are worth and what they paid for them, and I googled to see the annual salary is of my 2 state employee siblings, 1 federal employee sib and 1 fed employee inlaw. Idle curiosity, not laudable, couldn't resist.

Have you ever?

by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:17 AM
4 moms liked this

I have done that in my neighborhood to make sure everyones homes are retaining their value, but I havent done it out of idle curiosity.

inmybizz
by Trixie on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

yes..I'm thinking of putting my house on the market and wondered what homes in my area are selling for.. 

opal10161973
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Hmm.  I guess I could go and look up what my sister makes, but she told me, not thatr I really cared.  I have Zillowed the neighborhood drunk and found out after all his BSing, that he doesn't even own his home.  Of course, I went to the appraiser's site for that part.

Barabell
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I was a state government employee, and so I'm aware that salary is public information. The local newspapers here actually publish it on their websites. I did look up my own salary, and the information I found was wrong. It was a current database, but the information was two years old.

Barabell
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I have used Zillow before for our neighborhood housing prices. I live in a neighborhood with old and new homes, and so it's weird to compare price per square foot because it varies so much depending on the quality of the house. Like my house is about 85 years old. One neighbor's house is over a century old, and the other neighbor's house is only about 50 years old.

Greekmama21
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

YES, lol. We had this mom in a group who constantly bragged about what they had- turned out she was renting, haha... I didn't zillow it, it was available on the county's website. I've googled what a few friends who constantly complain about their salaries (as teachers) make and in their district, they shouldn't have been complaining.

Machelle669
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM
YES

Jersey_class
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

gov't employee's salary is a matter of public record. every year they post the Police dept and teachers salary in our newspapers. Personally i feel they're underpaid for what they go thru day to day. Esp. police. Police in high crime areas are only paid 30,000 starting!

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 4, 2012 at 11:57 AM
3 moms liked this

No, but we have moved a lot.  When you buy a house the price is usually in the paper.  Someone who worked for dh had the nerve to tell him one day that she had seen what we paid for our house.  EVEN if you see it do you tell your boss that?  Sounded like she was jealous or something.  NOT a thing I would discuss with my boss. 

Lachrymose
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Not through zillow (never heard of it until now).. our county has a site that has all that info.. and I've checked it to see how the other houses in our neighborhood compare to ours in value (and if the property tax has gone up, etc.).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)