Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Get our expert's advice and YOU could become a best-selling author! UPDATED WITH WINNERS!

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM
  • 256 Replies
5 moms liked this

Congratulations to our winners: survivorinohio and AKDmom!

Are you a writer? Do you dream of becoming one? Whether you're already working on the next great American novel, you've got a blog, or you just like to jot down ideas in a journal, our expert is here to help you hone your skills!

Kate Hopper, award-winning teacher and author of Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers, will be here all week to share her experience as a mom and writer, offer her expert advice, and answer YOUR questions! Plus, you could win a copy of Kate's book!

Please ask your questions for Kate in the replies below. Kate will post her answers here as well.

Welcome, Kate, and thanks for joining us!

typingreadingwriting

Giveaway rules:

• The Kate Hopper giveaway starts 6/08/12 at 10:05am (ET) and ends 6/17//2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a copy of Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 6/27/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kate_Hopper
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM
4 moms liked this

Thanks so much for having me as a guest this week! I look forward to chatting with you all about motherhood and writing!

othermom
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Where would be the best place to try to publish poetry

1_hawt_mami
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
In what order do you go in when writing a book? Do you write whatever then piece it together later?

My brain is always all over the place.:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamasluvin
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Hi there

I wrote a children's story when I was 11! I am now 34...LOL. However, there still needs to be some proof reading done. My biggest thing is, who do I send it to to see about getting published? How much does it cost? I do not have an illistraitor :( Should I have it illistrated?

Elyssa414
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Hi!! So awesome to have you here! I've started (and stopped) writing my book so many times... I want to write about my experience with my son's severe illness/disability. I have a lot of it written down on his caringbridge page, but I'm having a hard time turning journals and health updates into a story.
I also worry that there's just too much information, and the book will be WAY too long! Any advise?
survivorinohio
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Hi Kate, thank you for giving us this opportunity to pick your brain:)  I think there are a lot of ladies here who have an interest in writing and can benefit from your advice.

I have been told I should write about my life by a  lot of people, my life is a bit off the norm lol.  I have often wondered how I would begin such a story.  What do you think is the best way to start a book? 

I have thought about setting a scene with the opening, do you think thats the best way to introduce characters? 

Also I wonder about fictionalizing rather than just telling the story in hopes of protecting the guilty lol and the innocent as well.  The problem I think of is that much of the story I have to tell is pretty unusual and I dont want it to be taken less seriously.  So do you think fictionalizing true stories is a good idea or would a pseudonym be a better strategy?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM
How would I find out if big name publishing companies accept manuscripts from authors who haven't bern published?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

wow this is a great resource!

how do you go about finding an editor and a publisher that won't cost a ton of money and also the time to write LOL. i have so many ideas in my head but need to find time to write between working, raising kids and trying to have a social life! lol

critter_boo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Kate , I have a story written and a activity book in the works I don't know where to start the publishing process . I do not have the money to self publish or to hire someone and I have talked with company's but they want me to pay them. How do I start that process with losing money I dont have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

How did you get your start?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN