Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

My childs mother is driving me up the walls

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM
  • 10 Replies

Oh Lord someone help me!! My soon to be in-law is driving me nuts with her nose  in my business on how im raising my child. from the way i feed her to the way i shop for my child nothing i do seem to show that im a good mom nor does it show that i can handle my own child.  and I believe she is taking it to another level  in dear help how can i deal with someone like this without loosing my cool?

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Ugh, family dynamics, especially in-laws can be tricky.

I would just tell her that you really appreciate all her help and input. Then continue to do things your own way. Next time she says something, just say "thank you for the suggestion" It is hard, but you can do it. If she become too overbearing and meddlesome, then maybe your SO needs to step in and talk to her.

Good luck

PortiaRose
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Oh, just tell her. "I got the kid, I don't need a lot of help" if you never ask for what you want you won't get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Michelle on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

My mom had to deal with it all when we were kids. My dads family, especially his grandmother, were very pushy.
She always said though she respected their opinions, listened to them since she was older and had more experiance and always just followed her gut!
So just smile and nod at your inlaws and still do what you feel is best! You are momma!

Urbanmom13
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I agree 100%  but this is not the type of person that will listen to you she will more rather you do what she tells you to do. I never do it unless I feel that everything else i try fails. I even try to keep her apart  of her grand childs life by informing her of everything that is going in the childs life but it seems like she wants to take over and my husband just lets her and expect me to allow it.  my back is on the wall with this im going crazy with this monster in-law of mine.

mariesmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

this is why im glad mine lives in another state

bamababe1975
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to your husband about it, but be gentle. Explain to him the same way that you explain it to her, that while you appreciate her input, you're the child's mother and will raise your child as you see fit. He needs to be on the same page as you and support you in this rather than letting his mother railroad over you.

Quoting Urbanmom13:

I agree 100%  but this is not the type of person that will listen to you she will more rather you do what she tells you to do. I never do it unless I feel that everything else i try fails. I even try to keep her apart  of her grand childs life by informing her of everything that is going in the childs life but it seems like she wants to take over and my husband just lets her and expect me to allow it.  my back is on the wall with this im going crazy with this monster in-law of mine.

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Great advice.

Quoting bamababe1975:

Talk to your husband about it, but be gentle. Explain to him the same way that you explain it to her, that while you appreciate her input, you're the child's mother and will raise your child as you see fit. He needs to be on the same page as you and support you in this rather than letting his mother railroad over you.

exnomax
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM
I have deal with this my whole married life. she won't back down if you don't tell her. so with all due respect.... this is my child.. bla, bla... mine still has an opinion about everything. I just ignore her, I mean I listen to what she has to say. I just don't care for it. I ignore it completely. and I Learn to not let her bother me. my husband talked to her numerous times. she just doesn't get it. so I doubt yours will.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikadi
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Before talking to her become calm and say I appreciate your advice, but my child is a different person and being their mother I know what they need. I will definitely ask you for advice when I need it.

wooly
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Wow!  I was lucky.  I had 2 Great MIL's.  Now, i am one.  I have never told any of my DIL's how to do anything, unless i was asked. And even then I sent her a Dr Spock book because things have changed so much since I had my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN