Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF, I am SO sick of politcally correct crap

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
  • 35 Replies

A grade school principal in Coney Island won't allow patriotic kindergartners to sing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" at their moving up ceremony this month, deeming the ballad "too grown up" for five-year-olds.

The New York Post reports that Greta Hawkins, principal at the Edna Cohen School, interrupted a recent rehearsal by pulling the plug on the song that five classes had spent months learning for the June 20 commencement.

"We don't want to offend other cultures," teachers recalled Hawkins saying, according to the Post.

The abrupt rejection of the song also known as "Proud to be an American" left parents and faculty members stunned because it had been a hit at previous ceremonies.

"A lot of people fought to move to America to live freely, so that song should be sung with a whole lot of pride," mother Luz Lozada, whose son is in kindergarten, told the Post. She noted that parents "applauded and whistled" after fifth-graders performed the song last year.

Department of Education spokeswoman Jessica Scaperotti agreed with Hawkins' assessment, telling the Post that the lyrics were "not age-appropriate." The song's first lyrics are below:

"If tomorrow all the things were gone, I'd worked for all my life. And I had to start again, with just my children and my wife, I'd thank my lucky stars, to be livin’ here today."

This isn't the first time Hawkins, a Jehovah's Witness, has tried to put an end to such patriotism. Insiders told the Post that she does not recite the Pledge of Allegiance, written by Rome, N.Y. native Francis Bellamy in 1892, because her religion forbids her from saluting any nation's flag. Staffers also said she has tried to end the school's morning ritual of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and singing "America the Beautiful."

The Pledge of Allegiance has become a hot-button issue in recent years.Elementary schools in Lamont, Calif. caught headlines in December because they began reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in English and Spanish.

In 2010, Hawkins was reprimanded by the Department of Education after calling the school "racist" and declaring, "I'm black. Your previous principal was white and Jewish. More of us are coming."

The New York Daily News reports that the NYPD and education officials are now investigating a series of racist hate mail that was sent to Hawkins following her controversial decisions. A Facebook page calling for the principal's firing has also been set up.

Lee Greenwood's patriotic anthem didn't meet Hawkins' standards, but she did select a group of songs that did. Among them were Justin Bieber's "Baby," Raffi's "Shake Your Sillies Out" and "You've Got a Friend in Me" from the movie "Toy Story."

What do you think -- Should the kindergartners be allowed to sing "God Bless the USA" at their moving up ceremony? Leave your comments below.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Justin Bieber's Baby is more appropriate??????

mybabybugssmile
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM
5 moms liked this

Americans are the minority in America.

jerzeetomato
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Really.....WTF???  This woman clearly  has her own agenda and probably should not be the principal in any public school setting.  period.

Quoting atlmom2:

Justin Bieber's Baby is more appropriate??????

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Yep.  When my great grandfather came here he was proud to be an American and he wasn't a German American.  Also dh's grandparents were the same way.  Couldn't wait to learn English and have their kids learn and were so proud to live here and be American's.  I hate the way the US is today or the thinking of some people, I should say.

Quoting mybabybugssmile:

Americans are the minority in America.

MrsImperfect
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I wouldnt say its politically correct but a seperation of church and state. Tho my kids school sing songs of all ethical backgrounds just nothing with the word "God" with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I wouldnt say its politically correct but a seperation of church and state. Tho my kids school sing songs of all ethical backgrounds just nothing with the word "God" with it.

It is legal to sing songs with God in it in public schools.  Didn't know if you knew that or not.  My dd's sang very religious songs in public schools.  Its people like this lady that want to change things.  Its been through the courts already and the other side lost. 

jerzeetomato
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Separation of Church and State refers to NO TEACHING of religion or religious beliefs in the classroom.  Singing a song with the word "God" in it does not fall under that doctrine.  

Quoting MrsImperfect:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I will show you, at least its ok in choir classes or singing classes.  Sacred music is just fine. 

Quoting jerzeetomato:

Separation of Church and State refers to NO TEACHING of religion or religious beliefs in the classroom.  Singing a song with the word "God" in it does not fall under that doctrine.  

Quoting MrsImperfect:

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM

The imposition of religion on children in public schools is a
violation of the doctrine of separation of church and state. To
compel children in a public school to sing Christian devotional
music is tantamount to imposing religious practice on children.1
Singing religious songs as a class assignment . . . is not a religious
exercise to be equated with classroom prayers or Bible
readings. . . . ‘Public schools are not required to delete from the
curriculum all material that may offend religious sensibility.’ If
someone will sound an A, let us sing “Amen!” to that.2

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

This is a public school and they have sang songs for years like this.  My dd's choir. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)