Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I'm all for tipping and as a person who worked in numerous service jobs and several that where I made less than minimum wage (server, waitress) I know how important it is to tip. But where do you draw the line? I've been into several places such as pizza restaurants and Starbucks that have tip jars out on the counters and I'm wondering how many people think it's rude if you don't tip. Of course I tip if I have pizza delivered because the drivers have to actually come to my house to give it to me and the same goes for any delivery, but when I'm picking up and pizza or something else and it's on the counter in front of me I feel like they're asking for tips is a bit much. I'm already paying for the pizza, it's not like I'm having them bringing it to me as well. With Starbucks, the issue is a little different. I've been told that they make either minimum wage or more, so I don't feel necessarily like I should tip them. I could understand if they were making less, but if I tip them, then shouldn't I tip pretty much everyone I see like grocery store cashiers and the like. Just to be clear I'm not comparing Starbucks Baristas to grocery store cashiers in the type of jobs they do. I'm comparing them in the fact that they both have very little interatction time. I'm using a service from these people for maybe three to five minutes at a time. Where as at a sit down restaurant that has servers/waitresses or say a hair salon I'm there for a an hour or more so I do tip.

If anyone has anything thing they'd like to add whether to agree or disagree with me thats great! Though if you disagree please don't call me a b**** or anything like that just tell me why. I"m all for someone who can change my opinion if it's a clear thought out opinion and not one that just has curse words or negative things directed at me.

Just to be clear I'm not comparing Starbucks Baristas to grocery store cashiers in the type of jobs they do. I'm comparing them in the fact that they both have very little interatction time. I'm using a service from these people for maybe three to five minutes at a time.

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Replies (11-15):
thatgirl70
by Carin on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:42 AM

I agree with you, if I'm just going in to pick up the food, I'm not tipping, sorry. I'll tip if you deliver, I'll tip if I sit down to eat in your establishment and you bring me my food, I'll tip if you do my hair or my nails. But if you pour me a latte (which I could also get from McDonald's), no. Sorry. 

Kazoo22
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Now my next question is. . when people say they tip at like Starbucks because the drink was especially tasty/good, how do you messure that? If they're suppose to be able to make the drink exactly the same everytime wouldn't it just be normal everytime even if it is tasty? If there are times when it's more tasty than normal, then aren't they sometimes not doing their job. . :D . . Totally joking around here at this point.

2metalbabies
by Jene on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM
People I always tip: waitresses, hair dresser, delivery guy, and bartender. I live in a small town and i have noticed that those whom I tip well, remember and give me much better service, and they don't hold it against you when you're short on cash and can only leave a couple bucks. And bartenders will throw you a free drink or two when they know you're a good tipper. At my favorite bar, I'm not allowed to pay for shots when the owner is working because I'm a good tipper. But as I typed that it made me look like one helluva lush, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Glitchtastic
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I try to always tip when there is a service given. Sometimes I will tip a barista but a lot of the time I just pay with my card as credit when I go through the drive thru. So the oppurtunity doesn't always arise.

Also don't forget to tip you tattoo artists and body piercers. :)

ladybuggy77
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 12:32 AM
I tip at Full service restaurants the pizza guy nail & hair salons etc and I never put the tip in my card I always use cash for that that way I'm sure they get what I'm tipping them but this one time I had a pizza delivered to my home and I only had 1 dollar on me so that's what I tipped the gentlemen I said sorry that's all I had he started to walk away then stopped came back to my door and told me well I could tip more on my debit/credit card I was thinking you a** hole be happy I gave you something some people don't even
tip I was tempted to take the tip back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)