Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Father in Law for Sale

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

Seriously, I'm practically giving him away. Limited time offer.

One father in law, currently visiting in my home. Refuses to eat any meal that he doesn't recognize or isn't completely plain with no spice or seasoning. Will, however, eat fried squirrel gizzards served on plain white bread or saltine crackers. Asks 1000 questions about everything he doesn't recognize or already know all of the facts about: example "Are those trees decidious pines or conifers?" "Are these donuts made with yeast?" "Is that volcanic rock?". Knows every member of his family, extended and extended extended and doesn't understand why you don't know such things, and why you have no desire to go and meet his fifth cousin six times removed. After all, they're family! Will constantly put down the area that you live in, because the middle of nowhere Alaska is so much better due to the lack of people. Also, will constantly pressure you into moving to the middle of nowhere Alaska, even though you have made it clear you have no desire to. 

But wait! That's not all! He'll also gripe at you that you only gave him one grandchild and that you never visit even though 2 plane tickets to the lower 48 is much cheaper than 3 tickets up there. As an added bonus he'll go off on daily political rants and if you disagree with him or point out the flaws in his logic, he'll get offended and walk away! 

Sound like a deal yet? If you act now, I'll throw in the mother in law for free! She's pretty quiet and not near as exciting though. 

*****************************************************************************************************************************

Someone please shoot me. I have to deal with this until Saturday. I'm only capable of smiling and nodding for so long. 

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nikkijr
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Wow your inlaw sounds like a handful. Poor old lonely soul. If it were me I would pray for endurance and I would show him kindness in my compassion. His heart sounds hard from a long life of confusion and hatred.
I would take him off your hands, but I already have a family member that is similar. Peace and love to you in Yahshua
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM

If we were still in contact with my FIL, I'd trade you....LOL

Good luck! Seriously, good luck!

LuLuRex
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Ugh sounds like a nightmare!

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:11 AM
Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Asks 1000 questions about everything he doesn't recognize or already know all of the facts about: example "Are those trees decidious pines or conifers?" "Are these donuts made with yeast?" "Is that volcanic rock?".

Sometimes you need to explicitly tell people how to interact with you.

If he wants to demonstrate showing interest, but doesn't know a way to demonstrate that which doesn't annoy you, then explicitly tell him:   "Dad, I'm really glad you care about me and are interested in my life.   The parts of my life I'm passionate about are {Monet paintings | Harry Potter books | the philosophy of Gurdjieff | dog training | teaching my daughter music} - if you want to ask questions, those are areas I'd really appreciate discussing with you."

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:13 AM
Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Will constantly put down the area that you live in, because the middle of nowhere Alaska is so much better due to the lack of people. Also, will constantly pressure you into moving to the middle of nowhere Alaska, even though you have made it clear you have no desire to.

Don't respond to the (obviously abusrd) surface content.  Respond to the feeling.   What he's feeling is left out and not having enough contact.  He wants to feel closer.   He just doesn't know a better way to express it.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

As an added bonus he'll go off on daily political rants and if you disagree with him or point out the flaws in his logic, he'll get offended and walk away!

Does he see himself as a wise person trying to impart knowledge?  Is he interpreting rejection of his arguments as being rejection of him?

Try taking the argument meta.  Talk explicitly about HOW people should discuss politics, and the value of disagreement and discourse.

Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:17 AM
Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Someone please shoot me. I have to deal with this until Saturday. I'm only capable of smiling and nodding for so long. 

Maybe he'll be dead next year, and you'll never have to see him again?

"Grace" : a love that is given despite not having been earned

MrsNocke
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:18 AM
sorry that stinks, hang in there!
Kenre
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:24 AM
Its my dad! No thanks. I can only deal with one in my life. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoganTroyMom
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:12 AM
trade! mines an alcoholic, animal hoarding, rude ass, mooching, lying, stealing, bad influence on my kids who LIVES IN MY HOUSE 100% FREE, eats more than any of us, and does nothing but bitch incoherently and tell me im lazy for not doing HIS chores (in lieu of rent.. dishes. thats it.) bc i have a vagina.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN