Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

She says I'm trying to make him grow up to fast. Am I?

Posted by   + Show Post
My son has very few chores he has to pick up his room once a week n pick up his toys before bed. He dresses himself and I make sure that he looks ok. He lets the dog out in the am. On the days we go to church I lay out his clothes for him and a washcloth for him to wipe up. That's all. My mom says that a six yr old cant dress himself or wipe his face off n should have no chore schedule. I think it's important to raise independent children with a good sense of responsibility. do u guys think I'm trying to force him to grow n that's too much for a little kid? What do you guys think? My son is
A very smart kid who has always naturally been on the independent side. I'm do not want to force him to grow to fast he doesn't seem unhappy . Is that what I'm doing ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Replies (31-39):
boysrablessing
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM
They would help with bathing feeding and watering the dog and they each had a hamster which they cleaned the cages fed and watered (under supervision of course) They also were responsable for cleaning up their own messes toys dishes dirty clothes and whatnot. I grew up on a farm by the time I was 3 I was helping with every animal we had from cows and chickens to lamas and goats I believe all kids NEED someone who will make them do some stuff for themselves even at a young age.

Quoting sparklebug86:

Quoting boysrablessing:

Both my 5yr olds and my 6yr old have had chores since they were 3. My oldest feeds/waters bathes and brushes the dog. My twins clean the guinie pig cage feeds and water the guinie pigs clean their rooms or any other mess they make for that matter. The put away their clothes as well as dress themselves. All children want to feel needed. When you give them chores they r "helping" mommy as well as building an independent young adult. If you dont start them young you play hell when they r teens!

What chores did you start the, with at 3?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boysrablessing
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I start making my kids clean up after themselves as soon as they start walking.

Quoting boysrablessing:

They would help with bathing feeding and watering the dog and they each had a hamster which they cleaned the cages fed and watered (under supervision of course) They also were responsable for cleaning up their own messes toys dishes dirty clothes and whatnot. I grew up on a farm by the time I was 3 I was helping with every animal we had from cows and chickens to lamas and goats I believe all kids NEED someone who will make them do some stuff for themselves even at a young age.

Quoting sparklebug86:

Quoting boysrablessing:

Both my 5yr olds and my 6yr old have had chores since they were 3. My oldest feeds/waters bathes and brushes the dog. My twins clean the guinie pig cage feeds and water the guinie pigs clean their rooms or any other mess they make for that matter. The put away their clothes as well as dress themselves. All children want to feel needed. When you give them chores they r "helping" mommy as well as building an independent young adult. If you dont start them young you play hell when they r teens!

What chores did you start the, with at 3?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMia22
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM

my 3 yr old has the same chores. he cleans his room, lets the dog in and out and also gets the silverware for meals. and he dresses himself as well (i give him the option to pick out either his bottoms or his top and i pick out a coordinating other half.)

2008mommy3
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM

My 3, 4, and 9 year old all know how to dress themselves and have a chore chart.  My 3 and 4 year old have chores like clean up their room before bed, get all the toys out of the living room, and take their dirty clothes to the hamper.  My 9 year old cleans his room, his bathroom, folds his own laundry, helps with weeding the garden and taking care of the chickens.  You mom is crazy, expecting a 6 year old to dress himself is NOT making him grow up too fast.  Heck all my kids drank from the breast or sippy cups only at 6 months old, no bottles, and were potty trained at a year old.  She would really freak out on me:)

JasonsMom2007
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

My just turned 5 year old gets himself dressed, brushes his teeth, gets his own drinks, puts his dirty dishes in the sink, helps me cook and clean, cleans up his messes, feeds his gecko, and does random chores as he is asked.  He also pulls his sheets off his bed for wash day, puts his dirty clothes in the laundry hamper, puts his own shoes on, and even buckles his own car seat.

It's called teaching responsibility.

rowansmum
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM

When are they supposed to learn independance???  I think grandma's have a whole different mindset than we do.  They tend to baby the kids whereas we make sure they aren't babied too much ....  My kids have chores and definitely dress and wash up by themselves (but not a full bath)  and they're 4.5 and 3.  

erikadi
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM

No absolutely not. You know what is best for you and your child. You know him best. The only time I would worry about activities is if it is keeping him from getting his sleep or having him suffer in school. If he getting too overwhelmed by it all.

doomshroom
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM

well of course a six year old can't do those things....... if he's never taught or allowed to.

i think you're doing a good thing. there's no reason he shouldn't be able to dress himself and wash his own face.

kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM
the heck with your mom. nothing wrong with what you are doing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN