On Sunday night, police responded to a robbery alarm at 8:29 p.m., but officers left after they concluded power surges caused a false alarm.
On Monday, Luther's body was found in the freezer by the other co-owner, Chris Lowry.
Police later found out that the mechanism to unlock the cooler door from the inside was broken. Part of the device was sitting on a shelf outside the cooler.
According to the medical examiner in Nashville, Luther would have been overcome by carbon dioxide gas from the dry ice found in the enclosed cooler.
"I think it's just a tragic accident, an unfortunate coming together of circumstances for this poor gentleman that got trapped inside the freezer, at a time there was carbon dioxide there, and he was overwhelmed by the vapors," Adele Lewis, deputy chief medical examiner for Nashville, told the Tennessean on Tuesday.
Police said they would review their response to the Sunday night call