Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Are all the homeschooling moms putting teachers out of work and should parents who homeschool be required to have a degree?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • 97 Replies

what are your thoughts on this?

and here is another question:

"Should parents who homeschool be required to have a degree (such as teachers do)?"

The PhOtObOoTh!  A FuN group full of
contests, challenges, showdowns etc........
If you Love Photography you will Love this!

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmyaustin
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM
No on the first question and i am sorry but my answer is yes on the second question
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this
No & No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PaCsSupermom
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM
9 moms liked this

I was home schooled and my mom didn't have a degree. And according to Oklahoma state testing I'm smarter than most public school kids.

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM
3 moms liked this
I do not feel parents should need a degree. The kids should be able to pass tests to prove they are learning what they need to and that's it. Parents should be able to teach what they and their children want to learn, as well as the basics they need ( like what they would learn in a traditional classroom). As for putting teachers out of business, I don't care if they are. Schools should be like any other business. Schools and teachers that don't do their job well should close and make room for schools and teachers that do. I am sick and tired of cruddy schools and teachers who just don't care or do a good job. We praise mediocrity but not excellence. A terrible teacher gets paid as much as an excellent one and it's very difficult to fire a bad one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I personally think Mom's who homeschool for 6th grade on need to have a degree or be smart at least.  I know I couldn't do it.  I mean kids can't just learn from computers everything they need to know for middle adn HS.  There is no way. 

All kids need to pass state testing though and any that do very bad need to be checked up on. 

If its putting teachers out of work, so be it.  Find another degree. 

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Jun. 22, 2012 at 3:27 PM

no and no

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM
No and No

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I thought there was a shortage of teachers in the US right now?

I don't know enough about homeschooling requirements to say whether or not a parent should have some sort of degree before homeschooling their child. I don't think they need the SAME degree as a licensed teacher because they aren't dealing with all the same factors that a teacher in a classroom setting would deal with.

LoveMyKBabies
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Well around here anyway, I think maybe one out of 50 kids are homeschooled, so I think the teaching positions are safe. I don't necessarily think parents need a degree to homeschool, but I think they should be given a few tests covering all topics (besides foreign language) taught in Jr. High & H.S. If they don't know the material, they shouldn't be teaching, imho. I would assume all mothers can at LEAST get their kids through K-6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM
I can't speak for other moms, but I do have a degree in psychology and I minored in history. I also took some of the education classes before switching majors. I will begin to homeschool next year as ds heads into 6th grade and dd heads into 4th.

No, I don't think homeschooling moms are putting teachers out of business. From what I've gathered, there is an actual shortage of teachers at the moment and that is part of the reason classes are so over crowded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)