Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Thoughts on Obamacare being Upheld?

Posted by   + Show Post

What are your thoughts on Obamacare being upheld by the Supreme Court?

Will it affect you?

Do you object or support the Affordable Care Act?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Replies (51-60):
Winter-Goddess
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate when people compare car insurance to Obamacare.

Non- drivers are not forced to buy auto insurance to help pay for the cost of those who do. Yes, we have to have at least liability, but that protects the other person. Obamacare forces you to cover yourself.

One can choose to live without or own a car and thus not have to buy insurance. People in bigger cities do it, subways, taxi cabs, bikes, walking, etc.  One can not reasonably claim that a person can choose not breathe in order to avoid the purchase of healthcare. To own a car, society has determined that the responsible requirement is to mandate car insurance since you put others at risk every time you get behind the wheel. (note: insurance covering yourself and your car is not mandated).

Don't get me wrong. We NEED some type of change with in the system, but to force people is not the way to go.

Quoting Barabell:

It's government, whether state or federal. I understand that there is a big difference between state and federal government, but at the same time, it is still a government mandate on its citizens.

Quoting Winter-Goddess:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt car insurance state mandated, not federal?

Quoting Barabell:

I know that, but still the government mandates that you purchase it or you are penalized.

Quoting Punkie74:

You aren't required to have insurance that covers damage to your own vehicle and person... You are required to have it to cover damages to others property.

Quoting Barabell:

Are you opposed to the requirement for drivers to carry car insurance then?

Quoting Winter-Goddess:

I don't believe the government has the right to make us buy anything.

Mainstream Moms-Come join the normal side of parenting. No AP.

Winter-Goddess
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM

True. I'd want to know how much the penalty is. Is it a flat rate or a percentage of your income.

Quoting xocoutureandco:

Correct me if I am wrong but I read that there is no penalty for paying the penalty tax? So why argue this ? It makes no sense people just won't pay for it!

NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Then make everyone pay for it...no one should get a free ride while others pay.

What about people who can afford to not have health insurance. My parents don't have it because they negioate cash prices with the doctors. Why should they have to get it. If something hapens...they are required to pay the bill. No one else cover it for them. So what's the point ? The point is you make all the people who can pay...pay more to cover those who get it for free. That's where its not fair.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Isn't that nice....I pay out the ass for mine...and people get it free?? That's a fail. Make it so every single person HAS to pay something IF they want insurance. Why should I pay...and have worse benifits...and some people just get it for free? Please explain how that's fair. Make everyone who wants it but doesn't get it through work pay a percentage of their income. But...don't force anyone to get it.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting orcadarwin:

I'm telling you what I've been told and what I found out in my own research.  My husband and I will not qualify.  My children will remain on state medicaid, but my husband and I will not get it.  

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting orcadarwin:

I have looked it up.  I've also spoken with the state about it.  We will not qualify for the state insurance, because my husband makes too much money.  Even if we qualify for a subsidy that you are talking about, we still can't afford to get health insurance.  A roof over our heads and food on the table for the kids is way more important than health insurance that won't even halfway cover any medical expenses.  

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting orcadarwin:

How does it affect me and my husband?  We can't afford health insurance now, what makes them think we will be able to afford it under Obamacare?  We have no money left after paying basic living expenses, like house payment, lights, water and food.  I've already been told that we will not qualify for any assistance to get health insurance, because my husband makes too much money.  He makes $23000 a year, and that's only if he gets a little overtime during the year.  There is absolutely no way that we will be able to get any health insurance.  So, we will be charged this 'tax' that they say is not a penalty for not having health insurance, but it really is.  It sucks and it hurts the people of the country, rather than help them.  I do like one part of this thing.... the fact that insurance companies can not deny coverage for pre-existing conditions.  Although, they will find a way to not pay for that stuff, anyway.  

Under the new plan you will all get FREE health insurance. Here are the levels that will get it free-and the levels that will have subsidies in the form of caps and tax breaks.

Look upp one of the tables to see if you qualify

a family of 5 making 35,000 or less will now (all of them) qualify for Medicaid. So how would this not be better for you? IF you husband is making 23,000?  Evenwith one kid the cut off is 25,000

And my research shows that under 133% of the poverty line will get it and for free. Of course you might get sick and die waiting until that kicks in. Because, as it stands, that is exacltyu what could happen to you, as you are uninsured at this time.

Now if the plan gets overturned, you will STILL be uninsured. Of course a broken arm or medical emergency will be treated thru the ER. But if you get cancer, you won't get treatment. Not until it is way too lat for you.

You have to mandate insurance-or only the people who face consequences will get it.  This concept has been tested in Mass-and it resulted in a 40% reduction in premiums.  So it's not untried....

I have a 6 figure income and I pay out $9000 a year in insurance and deductables. But I KNOW that it is cheaper if EVERYONE has insurance. Just like car insurance-it all works best if EVERYONE has it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xocoutureandco
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Quoting Winter-Goddess:

What's the point you won't get any penalty for not paying the penalty tax! Everyone who is against this law simply won't pay and nothing will happen!
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:45 PM

President Obama's Affordable Care Act, which was deemed constitutional Thursday by the Supreme Court, includes some major tax changes that will take effect next year. Here's a refresher course on how sweeping health-care reform will impact individual taxpayers like you.

Medicare Tax

Right now, the Medicare tax on salary and/or self-employment (SE) income is 2.9%. If you're an employee, 1.45% is withheld from your paychecks, and the other 1.45% is paid by your employer. If you're self-employed, you pay the whole 2.9% yourself.

Starting in 2013, an extra 0.9% Medicare tax will be charged on: (1) salary and/or SE income above $200,000 for an unmarried individual, (2) combined salary and/or SE income above $250,000 for a married joint-filing couple, and (3) salary and/or SE income above $125,000 for those who use married filing separate status. For self-employed individuals, the additional 0.9% Medicare tax hit will come in the form of a higher SE bill.

Medicare Tax on Investment Income

Right now, the maximum federal income tax rate on long-term capital gains and dividends is only 15%. Starting in 2013, the maximum rate on long-term gains is scheduled to go up to 20% and the maximum rate on dividends is scheduled to increase to 39.6% as the so-called Bush tax cuts expire.

[Related: Could the Republicans really repeal Obamacare?]

But that's not all. Also starting in 2013, all or part of the net investment income, including long-term capital gains and dividends, collected by higher-income folks can get socked with an additional 3.8% "Medicare contribution tax." Therefore, the maximum federal rate on long-term gains for 2013 and beyond will actually be 23.8% (versus the current 15%) and the maximum rate on dividends will be a whopping 43.4% (versus the current 15%). Yikes!

The additional 3.8% Medicare tax will not apply unless your adjusted gross income (AGI) exceeds: (1) $200,000 if you're unmarried, (2) $250,000 if you're a married joint-filer, or (3) $125,000 if you use married filing separate status.

The additional 3.8% Medicare tax will apply to the lesser of your net investment income or the amount of AGI in excess of the applicable threshold. Net investment income includes interest, dividends, royalties, annuities, rents, income from passive business activities, income from trading in financial instruments or commodities, and gains from assets held for investment like stock and other securities. (Gains from assets held for business purposes are not subject to the extra tax.)

For example, a married joint-filing couple with AGI of $265,000 and $60,000 of net investment income would pay the 3.8% tax on $15,000 (the amount of excess AGI). If the same couple has AGI of $350,000, they would pay the 3.8% tax on $60,000 (the entire amount of their net investment income).

$2,500 Cap on Health-Care FSA Contributions

Right now, there's no tax-law limit on contributions to your employer's healthcare flexible spending account (FSA) plan (although many plan impose their own limits). Amounts you contribute to the FSA plan are subtracted from your taxable salary. Then you can use the funds to reimburse yourself tax-free to cover qualified medical expenses. Good deal! Starting in 2013, however, the maximum annual FSA contribution for each employee will be capped at only $2,500.

[Related: What health care ruling means for consumers]

Higher Threshold for Itemized Medical Expense Deductions

Right now, you can claim an itemized deduction for medical expenses paid for you, your spouse, and your dependents, to the extent the expenses exceed 7.5% of AGI. Starting in 2013, the hurdle is raised to 10% of AGI. However, if either you or your spouse is age 65 or older at yearend, the 10%-of-AGI threshold will not take effect until 2017.

That said, the fate of these four ObamaCare-related tax increases may hinge on what the Supreme Court decides next month. So maybe you have more reasons to be interested in that decision than you initially thought. Stay tuned. I'll keep you posted.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Exactly.  And Obamacare is adding 30,000 more to the that "free" ride in a couple years too.  Everyone needs to cover themselves in some way.  Those 30,000 are the ones not paying taxes AND getting a free ride too. 

Quoting NananRaysmom:

What about people who can afford to not have health insurance. My parents don't have it because they negioate cash prices with the doctors. Why should they have to get it. If something hapens...they are required to pay the bill. No one else cover it for them. So what's the point ? The point is you make all the people who can pay...pay more to cover those who get it for free. That's where its not fair.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting NananRaysmom:

Isn't that nice....I pay out the ass for mine...and people get it free?? That's a fail. Make it so every single person HAS to pay something IF they want insurance. Why should I pay...and have worse benifits...and some people just get it for free? Please explain how that's fair. Make everyone who wants it but doesn't get it through work pay a percentage of their income. But...don't force anyone to get it.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting orcadarwin:

I'm telling you what I've been told and what I found out in my own research.  My husband and I will not qualify.  My children will remain on state medicaid, but my husband and I will not get it.  

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting orcadarwin:

I have looked it up.  I've also spoken with the state about it.  We will not qualify for the state insurance, because my husband makes too much money.  Even if we qualify for a subsidy that you are talking about, we still can't afford to get health insurance.  A roof over our heads and food on the table for the kids is way more important than health insurance that won't even halfway cover any medical expenses.  

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting orcadarwin:

How does it affect me and my husband?  We can't afford health insurance now, what makes them think we will be able to afford it under Obamacare?  We have no money left after paying basic living expenses, like house payment, lights, water and food.  I've already been told that we will not qualify for any assistance to get health insurance, because my husband makes too much money.  He makes $23000 a year, and that's only if he gets a little overtime during the year.  There is absolutely no way that we will be able to get any health insurance.  So, we will be charged this 'tax' that they say is not a penalty for not having health insurance, but it really is.  It sucks and it hurts the people of the country, rather than help them.  I do like one part of this thing.... the fact that insurance companies can not deny coverage for pre-existing conditions.  Although, they will find a way to not pay for that stuff, anyway.  

Under the new plan you will all get FREE health insurance. Here are the levels that will get it free-and the levels that will have subsidies in the form of caps and tax breaks.

Look upp one of the tables to see if you qualify

a family of 5 making 35,000 or less will now (all of them) qualify for Medicaid. So how would this not be better for you? IF you husband is making 23,000?  Evenwith one kid the cut off is 25,000

And my research shows that under 133% of the poverty line will get it and for free. Of course you might get sick and die waiting until that kicks in. Because, as it stands, that is exacltyu what could happen to you, as you are uninsured at this time.

Now if the plan gets overturned, you will STILL be uninsured. Of course a broken arm or medical emergency will be treated thru the ER. But if you get cancer, you won't get treatment. Not until it is way too lat for you.

You have to mandate insurance-or only the people who face consequences will get it.  This concept has been tested in Mass-and it resulted in a 40% reduction in premiums.  So it's not untried....

I have a 6 figure income and I pay out $9000 a year in insurance and deductables. But I KNOW that it is cheaper if EVERYONE has insurance. Just like car insurance-it all works best if EVERYONE has it.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Winter-Goddess
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Do you file taxes every year and pay your portion to the governement? I do. If I don't then eventually I will end up in prison.

Oh and if I don't pay my taxes, then my wages can be garnished.

Quoting xocoutureandco:

Quoting Winter-Goddess:

What's the point you won't get any penalty for not paying the penalty tax! Everyone who is against this law simply won't pay and nothing will happen!

xocoutureandco
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Quoting Winter-Goddess:

Oh so they will be taken of of my taxes?! Oh God :(
atlmom2
by Susie on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM

While the Supreme Court narrowly upheld the core of President Obama's health care law Thursday, the justices came down hard against a provision that would have expanded Medicaid to millions more low-income Americans. As passed by Congress, the legislation expanded Medicaid to nearly everyone making up to 133 percent of the federal poverty line, which would have added an estimated 16 million people to state Medicaid rolls over the next seven years. States that refused to comply would run the risk of losing all Medicaid funding.

Seven justices ruled that the move went too far, and that the government can only withhold the funds to expand Medicaid, not existing money that helps states run their pre-expansion programs.

So will more conservative states take advantage of this new leeway and reject the expansion? That's what Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman, a Republican, suggested Thursday, when he said that he opposed expanding Medicaid in his state. A spokeswoman for Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who has made a show of rejecting federal funds in the past, wouldn't say whether he would block the expansion. Medicaid is often one of the biggest lines in states' budgets, and that share is growing as health care costs continue to rise.

But some of the early opposition may turn out to be saber rattling. The federal government is funding 100 percent of the state expansion for the first few years before reducing their contribution to a permanent 90 percent. That's a much higher contribution than the government currently makes for Medicaid (at 57 percent), which every state now participates in, even though it is also an optional program. And in addition to the government providing a sweet deal, the states who sued over the expansion account for most of the country's unemployed people, which might make it particularly difficut for their governors to turn down a chance to insure their residents at a tenth of the cost.

In the map above, each state is shaded according to how much its Medicaid program would expand under the new law, according to the higher end of the Kaiser Family Foundation's estimates (pdf, page 45). Each state is also shaded red or green, based on whether it has passed a law or constitutional amendment opposing health care reform. (Alabama and Wyoming have proposed amendments on the 2012 ballot.)

According to the National Journal's Ron Brownstein, the 26 states that sued over the Medicaid expansion contain 55 percent of the nation's uninsured, a total of 27.6 million uninsured people. Texas alone has 6.1 million uninsured people. Expanding Medicaid in Texas would cover 2.0 million people, the Kaiser Family Foundation (pdf).

Tea4Tas
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Quoting NananRaysmom:

The reality of tha tis this. If either one of them gets cancer, there is no negotiation.   How would they be required to pay $500K? And why would they want to riskit if they had that kind of cash?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN