Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Men need marriage more than women, study finds

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM
  • 5 Replies

June is a month for marriage and brides and there is new evidence that tying the knot can be good for your health, especially for men.

"When you look at your overall health: how long you live, how well you live and whether you get diseases or not, marriage is pretty important," said Dr. Michael Roizen of RealAge.com, a health and wellness website.

Based on surveys from 30 million RealAge.com users, Roizen said they found that happily-married women live 2 ½ years longer than women who are either not married or in unhappy marriages.

Married men live 4 ½ years longer, whether happy or not.

"Being married, even if they're in an unhappy marriage, is a benefit to men," said Roizen.

Roizen said men don't have a social network to the extent women do outside marriage. Women tend to have companionship whether they are married or not, he said.

"There is something about that companionship or that social network that's really important (to health)," said Roizen.

RealAge.com found that the longer a woman is married, the greater the health benefit.

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MIA0223
by Michelle on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Hmmm... That's interesting!

LadyFreeRider
by Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Im not sure I buy that. My great aunt never married and she lived to be 103 yo. She drove and lived alone in her own home until she was 99. When she did pass it was because all the blood drained from her brain into the rest of her body. She had all her falculties until the day she died. My great grandmother however (great aunts sister) passed at 96. She became senile and had to live in a nursing home not long after her husband (my great grandfather) passed away. She couldnt live without him I guess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kejgie
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Depends on the couple, their sense of priorities, what is the couples' goals, interests, and if all married people are just studied, or even a few, how can anyone rate how long a person will live, ... or know when they are truly happy. 

I believe most people only marry out of being confused.   For example, if we were truly equipped with all our decisions to work, keep a home going, paying rent, have adequate food and clothing, that is happiness to millions.  With no partner, marriage, or other plans.

Survival isn't bad, lonliness isn't bad, it's when the whole earth focuses on what "marriage'', is and not what soley people are independently capable of with nobody bothering them or making decisions for them at home.  

If we in business would just look at the quality of unhappy workers(( because the jobs don't equate the true value of work as time issued ))or applied for a happy day just being at work, it's a lie. 

Many people are true heartfelt happy working folk.   Work is contentment, to most it's a way of life, a content steady goal oriented and planned out day,/ week / month /  ***you get the picture.

I think most people are sick of trying to keep up with the daily comparisons to other workers, or if they've been discriminated against, (shouldn't happen!!)   It's times like now nobody should be looked at like they aren't doing their best.  Pay them, and let them work.  

If nobody is capable to do this, they are allowed to be a paid volunteer, when they are at that place of work.

In other words, being married isn't a true happiness factor, but being busy with a stable business for works sake is.

kikitice
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 2:42 AM

That's what happens when you have someone looking out for you. Women are smart enough to know that we need help...which is why we are on here, men...not so much so God invented marriage to help them! lol

jerzeetomato
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM

You may be on to something.

Quoting kikitice:

That's what happens when you have someone looking out for you. Women are smart enough to know that we need help...which is why we are on here, men...not so much so God invented marriage to help them! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)