Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you agree, or disagree??

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM
  • 102 Replies
1 mom liked this

We are invited to a B'day party. Its a friends 50th. The invite says drinks and main dish and cake furnished. Please bring an appetizer or dish to pass. I am the type person when someone is invited to a party, you furnish it all or do not invite people. My DD is having a grad party. I would never say bring a dish to pass to her party.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nodramamama311
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM
I'm not gonna say its wrong but I would never do that either, it's weird at the least. When I throw a party I do everything and if people want to bring then great but I would never ask them to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Or invite people out to eat and expect them to pay for their own?  I wouldn't do that either.  Inviting is inviting, unless before hand you know each person is covering their own bill and its agreed upon. 

offrdngal
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM
4 moms liked this

I enjoy "potluck" parties! I like the variety when other bring their fvorites dishes or sides.

Elyssa414
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see anything wrong with that. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2metalbabies
by Jene on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:30 PM
We're going to a party tomorrow where they are providing the main dish and every one is bringing beer and a dessert or side. Next weekend is my husbands birthday party and in the past we have provided all the food and booze, but no one ever shows. This year were providing the food and everyone is bringing the beer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I think its fine for some things but not a B'day party.  Just me.  I bet Miss Manners would agree.  Some get togethers I can see like some neighborhood party or something like that. 

I just remember dh's siblings had a 50th anniversary dinner for my in laws.  Dh covered the whole bill.  Siblings didn't even offer to pay for themselves, ugh.  It was family and a few close friends of dh's parents.  It was over $700.  My in laws  were the guests of honor and their friends were invited guests so they were not expected to pay nor would money have been taken. 

Courtney610
by Courtney on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds normal for this area.  Although, when I invite people over, I tell them it is up to them whether they bring a dish to share. 

PEEK05
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I have no problem with it.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Maybe its the areas or something.  I grew up in Indiana and I live in Wisconsin now.  Like I said there are times for pitch ins and we attend them, but B'day parties, or anniversary parties, no.  That should be paid by whoever invites.  To me, its saying we are cheap asses and can't afford to feed who we invite.  Now that is just MY opinion.  Its like saying come to my wedding and bring a dish to pass for the reception?  Ugh, NOT. 

Courtney610
by Courtney on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Maybe its the areas or something.  I grew up in Indiana and I live in Wisconsin now.  Like I said there are times for pitch ins and we attend them, but B'day parties, or anniversary parties, no.  That should be paid by whoever invites.  To me, its saying we are cheap asses and can't afford to feed who we invite.  Now that is just MY opinion.  Its like saying come to my wedding and bring a dish to pass for the reception?  Ugh, NOT. 

I actually went to a potluck wedding reception last weekend.  It's not a choice I would make, but to each their own. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)