Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you agree, or disagree??

Posted by   + Show Post

We are invited to a B'day party. Its a friends 50th. The invite says drinks and main dish and cake furnished. Please bring an appetizer or dish to pass. I am the type person when someone is invited to a party, you furnish it all or do not invite people. My DD is having a grad party. I would never say bring a dish to pass to her party.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Replies (81-90):
JessicaEOH
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM
I'm sure they don't expect gifts at a 50th birthday party...I'd assume it was more of a celebration...I'd have no issue bringing something!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nessie1369
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

i agree that you should bring a dish. why should they shell out all the cash? it's just like a potluck. that's my opinion anyways. when we invite folks over, we supply the main food but ask people to bring a side and/or dessert

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Agree that is quite the norm here.  We just went to a fourth of July party had to bring a side, dessert and a bottle for the bar.  We host a margarita party twice a year and the same rules apply.  If I go to my mom's for a family cookout same rules everybody brings something to share. 

It is a way of everyone getting together more often (as we all only fit comfortably in some houses.  As some are smaller than others)  without making someone broke to do so.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM
I agree, a pitch in is perfect for a 4th party. That is not what I am talking about.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Agree that is quite the norm here.  We just went to a fourth of July party had to bring a side, dessert and a bottle for the bar.  We host a margarita party twice a year and the same rules apply.  If I go to my mom's for a family cookout same rules everybody brings something to share. 

It is a way of everyone getting together more often (as we all only fit comfortably in some houses.  As some are smaller than others)  without making someone broke to do so.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 2:28 AM

I know it is pretty much that way no matter what the event and who hosts it.  It is pretty much common knowledge.  Not necessarily the norm for birthday parties but everyone ususally offers and brings something anyways. 

Quoting atlmom2:

I agree, a pitch in is perfect for a 4th party. That is not what I am talking about.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

dancingbabyE
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 4:29 AM
I wouldn't ask guests to bring food. However, when I go somewhere I bring a fruit platter or something. Unless it's a fancier party, then I bring a bottle of wine
prdmama1154
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:25 AM
It depends on the occasion wether or not I would would ask guests to bring things, but if I were the guest and was asked to bring a dish it wouldn't bug me at all. No mater what the occasion. A celebration is a celebration, happy times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GertieK
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

good grief.  I think it is fine... nice even.  Friends getting together to celebrate a birthday.  Everyone contributing adds a bond and sense of community.  food is a traditional way of pulling friends togther and with everyone adding to the table, it brings them even closer.  Plus you get all kinds of yummy food.  Don't get too caught up in propriety, and look at the good side of this... it defnitely outweighs what some would consider "proper".

1likeme
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
It's a pot luck. If it twists up your panties this bad decline the invitation.
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I would never require guests to bring anything. Still, I wouldn't be offended by the invite either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN