Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

2 missing girls from Evansdale, Iowa

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM
  • 16 Replies
http://m.kwwl.com/default.aspx?pid=4016&wnfeedurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.kwwl.com%2fstory%2f19023342%2fevansdale-police-searching-for-two-missing-girls%3fclienttype%3drssstory

Sorry I am mobile and cannot make ths link clicky. Praying these girls are brought back to their families safely! My heart breaks for this family! Please share with everyone so we can bring these babies home!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skybriaus
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissJes87
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
bump. praying for the girls safe return home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gramattmom
by Member on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I also live in Iowa..Im about an hour from there...This is sooo scary and hope and pray that these girls are found safe and sound...

steveiguana
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
UPDATE: Evansdale police searching for two missing ..
1:26 PM
The reward has increased for information related to locating two missing girls in Evansdale.  Police now say there's a reward of $15,500 to help find 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins and 10-year-old Lyric Cook.  The girls have been missing since going on a bike ride Friday afternoon.

Sunday, authorities expanded the search area, knocked on doors in parts of Waterloo and continued dragging Meyers Lake to try and find the girls.

Hundreds of volunteers have also come forward in the effort.

Anyone who was on the bike trail Friday afternoon and may have seen something, is strongly encouraged to contact the Evansdale Police Department. That number is 319-232-6682.

"We can't express our gratitude for how many people have shown up, people that don't even know us. Even under the worst circumstances. I just know they will be brought home safe and sound. And I know it will be soon," said Elizabeth's mother, Heather Collins.

Lyric's mother, Misty Morrissey, says she believes the girls may have been taken or left with someone Friday.  She says it's out of character for the girls to wander away or to try and swim in the lake.

"They're very outdoorsy, They play together every day," Morrissey said. 

But investigators are still calling this a missing persons case. 

"It is still a search and we have no indications of anything other than we have two missing girls. We have nothing that would indicate foul play, nothing to lead us in that direction at all," said Black Hawk County Sheriff Deputy Richard Abben.

As of Saturday night, no Amber Alert could be issued for the girls because there is no evidence to suggest they were abducted and there are no suspects. The girls have been listed on the national missing persons registry.

Emergency crews have been searching since 3 p.m. Friday.  Saturday, more than 400 people showed up to help in the ground search.  While firefighters and DNR officers searched Meyers Lake, volunteers walked up and down the river, on trails, and through Evansdale neighborhoods.

When they're not searching, Collins and Cook's family members are gathering near the boat ramp at Meyers Lake.

Authorities found the girls' bikes off a trail on the southeast corner of the lake. One of the girl's purses was found not too far away.

Their grandmother was the last one to see them.

"They've gotta be okay," Wilma Cook said. "We're praying that nothing happened to them.  That maybe they're lost in the weeds or went too far and can't find their way back."

Crews continued dragging the lake Saturday.  Friday evening, they walked through an island in the lake, and did at least two searches by air - including one using infrared sensors.

"It's very difficult, but we're trusting in the Lord and just trying to be patient."  Morrissey said. "Let everybody do their job and we're just doing a lot of praying."

Collins is a student at Poyner Elementary. Cook is a student at Kingsley Elementary in Waterloo.

Authorities say they continue to follow up on leads and that the case is being worked on a 24-hour basis.  

Anyone who was on the bike trail Friday afternoon and may have seen something, is strongly encouraged to contact the Evansdale Police Department. That number is 319-232-6682.
MIA0223
by Michelle on Jul. 15, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Hope they are found safe!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skybriaus
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skybriaus
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jlee4249
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM
The limitations of an amber alert actually piss me off. They say the first 24 hours are crucial... And Yet...
I hope these girls are found alive!
skybriaus
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM
I totally agree! They say there was not enough evidence for an amber alert yet these 2 precious girls have vanished without a trace! My heart breaks for this family!

Quoting Jlee4249:

The limitations of an amber alert actually piss me off. They say the first 24 hours are crucial... And Yet...

I hope these girls are found alive!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shajdinyak
by Shannon on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Bump. Hope they are safe!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)