Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think it seems like Kate Middleton is breaking boundaries by being recognized in this way?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM
  • 8 Replies

Kate Middleton Is Making Her Mark in a Way Diana Could Only Dream Of

Posted by Maressa Brown on July 18, 2012 

prince william kate middleton prince harryKate Middleton may have married into a seriously traditional family, but Prince William has just proven himself to be a thoroughly modern hubby. Wills, along with Prince Harry, have recently changed the name of their personal charity to reflect Katie's active involvement. What was formerly known as the Foundation Of Prince William And Prince Harry will now be known as -- deep breath -- The Royal Foundation Of The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge And Prince Harry. Whew! Yeah, it's a mouthful, but it's a major -- some might even argue feminist -- step.

After all, it's not like Kate doesn't deserve it. In the short time she's been Wills' wife, she's made a name for herself in the U.K. and abroad as the "Queen of Charity." 

Not only has the Princess taken a strong, active role with her husband and brother-in-law's charity -- which focuses on young people, the environment, and members of the Armed Forces and their families -- but she also became a patron of four other charities back in January: Action on Addiction, East Angila's Children's Hospices, the Art Room, and the National Portrait Gallery all claim her attention. Plus, she volunteers with the Scout Association. Someone sure seems to be up to the challenge of doing quite a bit of selfless work a la her late mother-in-law!

But unlike Princess Diana, Kate is actually being treated like and recognized as an equal -- in a very public way. It's a tremendous, modern, exciting step for an institution that up until the last decade or so, typically seemed to want to turn the clock back.

Discussing where they plan to go from here on The Royal Foundation's website, a message from the royal trio reads, "For reasons that never cease to amaze us, we do seem to be able to bring a spotlight to bear on wonderful initiatives created by other people to help those in need ..." They note that they'll be addressing "some key challenges facing society today at home and abroad" and aim to "lend whatever support we can to those individuals and organisations leading the fight to confront and overcome these challenges." Awesome!

Props to Wills and Harry, who I'm sure knew their "mum" could have been recognized in an even bigger way by the monarchy while she was alive. They could have easily left Kate off the billing for their Foundation, but they knew better. She matters. And acknowledging that is new awesome proof that these three young royals can really bring the British monarchy into the 21st century.

Do you think it seems like Kate Middleton is breaking boundaries by being recognized in this way?

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:14 PM
The royal family learned a lot at Diana's expense. I mean, Kate and William lived together. Diana had to be a virgin and of royalty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I think its wonderful how she gives and help charities.

kriss1023
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Good for her!!

Sidenote: it drives me a little batty when people call duchess Kate...princess. She married a prince but she's not a princess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I think it's great.  Diana never did her charity work for the fame and recognition, but still deserved that recognition from the monarchy.  I think this is Harry and Will's way of paying homage to their mother, by including the new Duchess.

Courtney610
by Courtney on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I absolutely love it!  LOVE it! 

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I think she beautiful. I have a girl crush on her though so I cant speak much on the subject im kinda biased lol
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I thinks it great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Quoting Cafe Steph:

It is good, but not new.

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)