Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Self Checkouts........are you taking someone's job away?

we know that there is no such thing as

"Full Service" anymore, like when the gas station attendant came out and pumped your gas, washed your windows and checked your oil, Oh, and took your payment too.

Everything has gone to self service, self select JEEZ, even at the Doctor's office they expect you to sign yourself in on their computer in the waiting room....

which leads me to my next question..

Do you believe your taking jobs away by going through the 'self checkout' at grocery stores,,,or Lowes, Home Depot...etc..

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Replies (41-48):
celestegood
by Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

We still have one full service gas station here.

And none of our stores have self checkout anymore.  We did have some a few years back, but people were using them to steal, so they phased them out.

Good riddance.  I did like it for getting out faster, but in the end, it doesn't really matter.  It all ends up the same anyhow.

iamfreeatlast
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:20 PM

No it does not take away jobs.  The companies do not let people go or anything.  They still keep the same amount of cashiers just added more lines.  There is someone that does run the self check outs. 

kaitybird
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

We don't mind them if we do not have much, are not using coupons and have cash!  Otherwise we go to a cashier.  

storkradio193
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I go to whichever line is shortest and easiest.  Although the self-checkout is annoying at times with lots of fresh veggies/fruit.  About jobs, industries are always changing (every invention creates and eliminates jobs).  I'm sure jobs were created by companies who build the checkout machines, maintain the machines and so on.  The problem lies in the skills needed for different jobs as industries change.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

she_walk_softly
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM
No I end up asking for help most of the time .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twisties34
by Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Its quicker to just go through a normal register at the supermarket.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Its not the consumers that is taking away jobs. Its the companies or employers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
august_baby_09
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Quoting Punkie74:

There's still a checker at the self checkout... Plus I just wait longer at the stores without them... It's not like they employ more people... You just wait in line longer!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)