Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh great now they've planned a chick-FIL-a protest!

Posted by   + Show Post
A local resident is asking the community to join in a peaceful protest when Oswego’s Chick-fil-A restaurant opens Thursday, Aug. 23, in light of recent remarks the fast food chain's president made against same sex marriage.

On a Facebook page created to organize the event, Beck Gipson, an Oswego High School graduate, said the president of Chick-fil-A “has not only come out and spoken against gay marriage but has admitted that part of the funds they make from the restaurant are donated to organizations against gay marriage.”

“It’s been reported that Dan Cathy has donated ($5 million) dollars to organizations that are fighting against gay marriage. I for one do not want this kind of hate in my town,” Gipson wrote on the page. 

The protest, slated for 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, at the Route 34 store will entail, according to the event page, “peacefully standing across the street and letting everyone that eats there and anyone passing by know by eating there you are funding hate.”

Attempts to reach Gipson were unsuccessful.

Last week, Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy said his business was "guilty as charged" in support of the "biblical definition of the family unit," according to the AP.

Donald Perry, vice president of corporate public relations for Chick-fil-A, said in a statement the restaurant is a “family-owned and family-led company serving the communities in which it operates.”

“From the day Truett Cathy started the company, he began applying biblically-based principles to managing his business,” he said. “For example, we believe that closing on Sundays, operating debt-free and devoting a percentage of our profits back to our communities are what make us a stronger company and Chick-fil-A family.”

Perry said the restaurant’s culture and service tradition “is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect –regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender.”

“Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena,” Perry said. “Our mission is simple: to serve great food, provide genuine hospitality and have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.”

Editor's note: This story has been updated to correct a misidentification in gender. We regret the error. 

http://oswego.patch.com/articles/gay-marriage-supporter-plans-peaceful-protest-of-oswego-s-chick-fil-a-on-opening-day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Replies (61-63):
atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Exactly, it is bullying. They don't see it that way.

Quoting Punkie74:

Again I ask what this "hate mongering" is? I hear this term thrown around a lot and of course you are stating the organizations are attempting to "drum up hatred" what I'm asking is how? I'm fairly certian if they were calling for the death of all gays I'd have heard something about that right? Not to mention do you think only gay/transgendered kids are bullied? Yet these protesters are trying to basically bully Mr Cathy into changing his views buy attempting to put him out of business. Why is it not ok to bully gay children yet it is perfectly acceptable to bully a grown man?

However I will say this, I find insulting all the "poor ignorant small minded folks" to be right on the road to "hate mongering" You yourself are speaking hate of Mr. Cathy and his corporation. Again why is it acceptable for you to do so?

Quoting redress:

actually cathy's contributions to the agencies he supports, do just that: drum up support for hatred for gays and lesbians, lgbt.

as for the second part of your post that is highlighted below, that is exactly my point. it is an incredibly alarming fact that many (not half), but many poor ignorant, small minded folk have decided to use their personal beliefs and interpretation of religion into restricting the personal freedoms of a percentage of their fellow countrymen.

how incredibly sad that the fact that so many gays and lesbian and transgendered kids routinely commit suicide because of bullying, because their families will not accept them, and because of social discrimination, does not get between so many, and their "chikin'" *puke*

Quoting Punkie74:

First exactly what is the "hate mongering?" Is he asking ths gays not be employed? Jailed? Are evil beings that will cast the devil into your soul? Be put to death? Or is it that a marriage should be between a man and a woman? I will say though I have seen plenty of hate thrown Mr Cathy's way because of his stance. Just as you have the right to fight for your beliefs he has the right to stand up for and contribute money to those who support his. As far as I'm aware Mr Cathy in abiding by the laws derived from the Constitution and so why would he need to leave? Again as it it your right to stand up for what you believe, as long as he is not breaking the laws of the land, Mr Cathy has those exact same rights. Simply because you believe your stance on the subject is correct doesn't mean his franchise owners should be attacked for his beliefs. I'm going to guess that at least half this country does not support gay marriage since as of yet there are only a handful of places where it is legal. (in other words the people are voting against it) With so many opposed to it it's funny that I haven't heard of large groups trying to boycot establishments that donate to gay rights groups (granted there have been a couple small ones and I thought they were idiots for their campaigns as well).

Quoting redress:

i agree that it would be hypocritical and intolerant if this was merely a matter of a belief on the part of cathy. i can sit at home and believe whatever i want AS LONG AS it does not HARM another, or INFRINGE UPON on another's civic liberties and freedoms.

in this case, profits gleaned from the goods that are sold by mr cathy are directly funneled into hate mongering organizations that vocally protest the civic liberties of citizens of america.

and that is why i would never give them any of my business. and pray that the majority of this country does the same.

is mr cathy within his rights to do whatever he wants with his money? absolutely! as does monsanto with whatever they want to do with their business model and ethics. but should we as thinking people and mothers propogate such BS: ABSOLUTELY NOT!

you can have your own personal beliefs...ie marriage = man + woman; but unless you want to leave the US and live in a country that does not allow for the basic freedoms and equality of all people that are it's citizens, you have to ABIDE BY THE CONSTITUTION! 

Quoting Punkie74:

Here's my problem with your stance. You (as are these protesters) are calling for tolerance and acceptance while being INTOLERANT and UNACCEPTING of someone else's belief system. What makes your stance right? What makes your opinions the only correct ones? Why is it acceptable for you to fight for something you believe in but not ok for someone who disagrees with you to do so? The reason I will still go to Chick-fil-a is because I support Mr. Cathy's right to believe what he wants about what a marriage should be. He is allowed to have his views just as you have yours. However, picketing an independent business as these protesters are doing isn't doing anything but making an effort (a poor effort at that) to put someone out of business trying to make an honest living because of what someone else said. Thus another reason I will still go there.

Quoting redress:

and i don't mean to be especially torched about this one issue, this one post, or you, OP. this is not meant to be personal. just pissed that we are raising generation after generation that just doesn't care...unless it means taking away a small personal convenience. it is sad, really.

my kids were picketing since they were 2 weeks old. i plan to keep the fire of revolt alive and well for them. protecting each other, understanding the meaning of citizenship, understanding the meaning of being a part of the global community, the circle of life, tolerance, acceptance, and fighting for justice - above all is really important to me. I shudder at the thought that they may ever get to the point where ennui and lack of direction leads them to just not care.....yuck! give a shit. always!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redress
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 5:46 PM

excellent point.

i agree.

we should all agree that civil rights and religious idiosyncrasies SHOULD always be separate..duh.

Quoting 2metalbabies:

I think anyone that supports a religion that claims to have been enslaved by the Egyptians, yet the Egyptians never mentioned them, needs a wake up call! It's based on magic, incest, and murder! And btw, 60 years ago it was against "Christian" beliefs to lay down with a member of another race. Civil rights and religion should be seperate, yet for some reason, Christians think they need to dictate how the rest of the world should live.

redress
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM

well, you know how a large majority of the states in the US have not legalized gay marriage, right? you know that there is such a thing as social discrimination, right? it does exist, you will agree?

well, the agencies that cathy supports from the profits from his business - of feeding you (general) - are the same agencies that lobby against marriage equality.

marriage is not trademarked by the christian right. so, why is it that so many fair-minded, chikin' eating folk fail to be offended by the fact that gay folks are not allowed to be legally wed? that is my question.

i assume you believe, based on your religious upbringing, that christian marriage is between a man and a woman. that's totally fine. but why should someone who is either non-religious, does not belong to your specific parish, or religious sect, or even religion, have to be forced into a position of inequality when it comes to marriage bc YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN IT.

forget cathy - whose businesses SHOULD be boycotted for what they support, in this day and age (amazing that they had so many supporters turn out!) - i am asking you: why/how can you justify denying your fellow citizen the right to marry only because in your version of religious faith it is something that is abhorrent or not allowed?

if we start applying religious mores to social liberty and law, WE ARE ALL GOING TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET...no matter what faith you belong to. lol.

Quoting Punkie74:

Again I ask what this "hate mongering" is? I hear this term thrown around a lot and of course you are stating the organizations are attempting to "drum up hatred" what I'm asking is how? I'm fairly certian if they were calling for the death of all gays I'd have heard something about that right? Not to mention do you think only gay/transgendered kids are bullied? Yet these protesters are trying to basically bully Mr Cathy into changing his views buy attempting to put him out of business. Why is it not ok to bully gay children yet it is perfectly acceptable to bully a grown man?

However I will say this, I find insulting all the "poor ignorant small minded folks" to be right on the road to "hate mongering" You yourself are speaking hate of Mr. Cathy and his corporation. Again why is it acceptable for you to do so?

Quoting redress:

actually cathy's contributions to the agencies he supports, do just that: drum up support for hatred for gays and lesbians, lgbt.

as for the second part of your post that is highlighted below, that is exactly my point. it is an incredibly alarming fact that many (not half), but many poor ignorant, small minded folk have decided to use their personal beliefs and interpretation of religion into restricting the personal freedoms of a percentage of their fellow countrymen.

how incredibly sad that the fact that so many gays and lesbian and transgendered kids routinely commit suicide because of bullying, because their families will not accept them, and because of social discrimination, does not get between so many, and their "chikin'" *puke*

Quoting Punkie74:

First exactly what is the "hate mongering?" Is he asking ths gays not be employed? Jailed? Are evil beings that will cast the devil into your soul? Be put to death? Or is it that a marriage should be between a man and a woman? I will say though I have seen plenty of hate thrown Mr Cathy's way because of his stance. Just as you have the right to fight for your beliefs he has the right to stand up for and contribute money to those who support his. As far as I'm aware Mr Cathy in abiding by the laws derived from the Constitution and so why would he need to leave? Again as it it your right to stand up for what you believe, as long as he is not breaking the laws of the land, Mr Cathy has those exact same rights. Simply because you believe your stance on the subject is correct doesn't mean his franchise owners should be attacked for his beliefs. I'm going to guess that at least half this country does not support gay marriage since as of yet there are only a handful of places where it is legal. (in other words the people are voting against it) With so many opposed to it it's funny that I haven't heard of large groups trying to boycot establishments that donate to gay rights groups (granted there have been a couple small ones and I thought they were idiots for their campaigns as well).

Quoting redress:

i agree that it would be hypocritical and intolerant if this was merely a matter of a belief on the part of cathy. i can sit at home and believe whatever i want AS LONG AS it does not HARM another, or INFRINGE UPON on another's civic liberties and freedoms.

in this case, profits gleaned from the goods that are sold by mr cathy are directly funneled into hate mongering organizations that vocally protest the civic liberties of citizens of america.

and that is why i would never give them any of my business. and pray that the majority of this country does the same.

is mr cathy within his rights to do whatever he wants with his money? absolutely! as does monsanto with whatever they want to do with their business model and ethics. but should we as thinking people and mothers propogate such BS: ABSOLUTELY NOT!

you can have your own personal beliefs...ie marriage = man + woman; but unless you want to leave the US and live in a country that does not allow for the basic freedoms and equality of all people that are it's citizens, you have to ABIDE BY THE CONSTITUTION! 

Quoting Punkie74:

Here's my problem with your stance. You (as are these protesters) are calling for tolerance and acceptance while being INTOLERANT and UNACCEPTING of someone else's belief system. What makes your stance right? What makes your opinions the only correct ones? Why is it acceptable for you to fight for something you believe in but not ok for someone who disagrees with you to do so? The reason I will still go to Chick-fil-a is because I support Mr. Cathy's right to believe what he wants about what a marriage should be. He is allowed to have his views just as you have yours. However, picketing an independent business as these protesters are doing isn't doing anything but making an effort (a poor effort at that) to put someone out of business trying to make an honest living because of what someone else said. Thus another reason I will still go there.

Quoting redress:

and i don't mean to be especially torched about this one issue, this one post, or you, OP. this is not meant to be personal. just pissed that we are raising generation after generation that just doesn't care...unless it means taking away a small personal convenience. it is sad, really.

my kids were picketing since they were 2 weeks old. i plan to keep the fire of revolt alive and well for them. protecting each other, understanding the meaning of citizenship, understanding the meaning of being a part of the global community, the circle of life, tolerance, acceptance, and fighting for justice - above all is really important to me. I shudder at the thought that they may ever get to the point where ennui and lack of direction leads them to just not care.....yuck! give a shit. always!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)