Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Police: Fort Pierce mother forgot son at dollar store

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

FORT PIERCE, Fla. -

A Fort Pierce mother has been arrested on a child neglect charge after she left her 3-year-old son at a dollar store and returned for him more than an hour later, police said.

Philleana Peak, 30, was also arrested on a marijuana possession charge Tuesday.

Fort Pierce police said an employee at Deal$ Dollar Tree noticed the boy alone and crying in an aisle Tuesday night. After several attempts to search the store for his mother failed and nobody answered announcements on the public address system, police were called.

More than an hour later, Peak arrived with the boy's grandmother while police were at the store.

According to the arrest report, Peak told police she thought her son was in the minivan with her when she left the store, but she couldn't find him when she got home.

"She didn't have an explanation," Sgt. Dennis McKenna told WPBF 25 News' Ted White.

Police said Peak couldn't explain why it took her at least an hour to return and why she didn't call the store or 911.

"An hour appears to be a long time," McKenna said.

by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
shauna.robinson
by Member on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM
How do you not realize your son is not in the car and then take an hour to pick him up and not even call the store???

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

steveiguana
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM

good question I would mis mine right away the car would be silent lol

Marimaru
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 10:36 PM

At least he wasn't left in the car...

steveiguana
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:30 AM

but still very dangerous what if the store employees were not the ones to respond and someone took this child?

Quoting Marimaru:

Marimaru
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh totally.  I only said that much because I certainly didn't have anything nicer to say.  :)

Quoting steveiguana:

but still very dangerous what if the store employees were not the ones to respond and someone took this child?

Quoting Marimaru:

MessedUpMama
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM

My first thought was "Well, she got an hour of free child care." Not quality care, but since she was caught was marijuana, maybe she wanted some time, you know some "ME" time. LOL She doesn't seem like a very .... attentive Mother. I can feel sorry for a Mom who forgot a child because she thought someone else had him, or if the child could get himself all buckled in on his own and she was just too stressed, didn't check before she left. But the fact that it took her an hour kind of puts it into an "accidentally on purpose" kind of category in my mind so the sympathy is greatly reduced.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

How do you not notice your child was missing for that long? And then you don't even call the cops just show back up to the store. What if someone took the child?

prdmomnarmywife
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM
:( poor kid . Idk how you forget your child ? Ds is right next to me or holding my hand no matter where we go ! When I was younger and worked at burger king someone did this . They returned after 10 mins but still ! Stupid people should be aloud to have kids .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myhandsomelove
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Wth? how do u forget your kid? I end of forgetting the stuff i went to buy because I'm after him, thats crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)