Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother arrested when police smelled beer on toddler's breath

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM
  • 3 Replies

Mother arrested when police smelled beer on toddler's breath

Posted: Aug 22, 2012 6:23 PM CDTUpdated: Aug 23, 2012 5:11 AM CDT

By Nick Kenney - bio | email
Police were initially called to Brandi Jackson's home becaus of a report she was fighting with her son.Police were initially called to Brandi Jackson's home becaus of a report she was fighting with her son.
A concerned citizen told officers Jackson's daughter's breath smelled like alcohol.A concerned citizen told officers Jackson's daughter's breath smelled like alcohol.
MILLINGTON, TN -

(WMC-TV) - A Mid-South mother was arrested after police officers smelled beer on her toddler's breath.

Police say they were initially called to Brandi Jackson's home because someone reported she was fighting with her son.

While there, a concerned citizen told officers the little girl's breath smelled like alcohol.

"The officer went over there and picked the child up and could smell it on the child," Millington Police Inspector Christopher Coleman.

Investigators say Jackson and her boyfriend were drinking beer Saturday from 10 a.m. until officers showed up at their house after 7 p.m.

According to a police report, officers were told the couple could have "mistakenly left an open bottle on the table. Jackson stated that (her daughter) might have thought that it was okay to drink from the bottle because she had seen Jackson do it."

Millington police say this is not the first time Jackson has been in trouble.

"She's been in and out of jail six or seven times over the last five years probably," said Coleman.

Jackson is charged with child abuse and neglect.

"Misdemeanor or felony to me it's serious. I mean anytime you're dealing with a child , 2 years old, 6 years old, 12 years old, it's serious," said Coleman.

Jackson posted a $10,000 bond.

A judge sent this case to the grand jury for consideration.

Police say the 2-year-old child was checked out by doctors. She is okay and is staying with family while DCS investigates

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
etsmom
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

There is no reason why a 2 yo should have beer on her breath. I don't understand why anyone would think that is ok to give beer to a 2 yo. I don't know if it was intentional, but this woman either needs help and parenting classes, or she needs to just walk away and let someone else who is more competent raise her kids.

LyTe684
by Tasha on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM

:(

Simply_Janeen
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:18 PM

My mom told me I was given some wine/champagne on my second birthday and a friend of hers used to give me sips of his beer all the time when I was like 4 or so. I don't remember any of that. Amazing the things parents could get away with 20-30 years ago they can't get away with now! Not that I would EVER give my kids anything like that! But back then, people didn't even think about it, heck, people used to put whiskey or brandy on the baby's gums for teething (wouldn't do that either!).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)