Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher brings brown recluse spider to school, student bitten

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM
  • 38 Replies

was a case of show-and-tell gone wrong after a Fulton County elementary school teacher brought a poisonous spider to show her students - and one student was bitten.

Diandra Jones told CBS Atlanta News that her child fell victim to the spider two years ago at Brookview Elementary School. That spider was a brown recluse. 

Jones said the day her daughter was bitten, she told her teacher, who ignored the complaint.

It wasn't even until later that evening that Jones realized something was wrong with her daughter. That's when she collapsed.

At the time, the girl's prognosis was dire.

"The doctor (said) it's a fifty-fifty chance that she will pull through and a fifty-fifty chance she won't," Jones said.

Jones filed a lawsuit over the situation because she claims not only did the teacher initially fail to do anything about the spider bite, but school administrators have ignored her phone calls and letters over the incident.

"There is nobody suffering here but my children," Jones said. "This lady still has her job, the principal still has her job, everything still goes on and everything is still fine and dandy in their households."

CBS Atlanta News contacted the Fulton County School District, but a spokesperson wouldn't comment on the case, citing the district's policy not to comment on pending litigation. 

However, that same spokesperson told CBS Atlanta News that the district does not have policy preventing teachers from bring poisonous animals into their classrooms.

While Jones' daughter survived the bite, she now suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. 

Jones said she wants the teacher and the Fulton County School District to stop sweeping what happened to her child under the rug.

"If a parent sends a child to school with a bruise you gonna report it, but why wouldn't you report this to the Division of Family and Children Services?" Jones questioned.

by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweettigeress
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM

what's wrong with showing them pictures??

BaileynMe
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:27 AM
No kidding! Why in the world would you bring a brown recluse to a school?!?!?

Quoting sweettigeress:

what's wrong with showing them pictures??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 8:43 AM
That's stupid at its finest! Why would you bring something poisonous to school???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Michelle on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Why would she ever think that's ok?
Take a pic and show it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Michelle on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Glad the little girl survived though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dommad2
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Or a video!! If you have to bring it in why wasn't it in an enclosure of some sort?? Where did the teacher even get it? This isn't something id feed and pet if I found it wandering outside alone!!!

Quoting MIA0223:

Take a pic and show it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Michelle on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Agreed.
The thought process fr some people is just foreign to me!

Quoting dommad2:

Or a video!! If you have to bring it in why wasn't it in an enclosure of some sort?? Where did the teacher even get it? This isn't something id feed and pet if I found it wandering outside alone!!!

Quoting MIA0223:

Take a pic and show it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dommad2
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:30 AM
That's because they have no process??? I'd want to look in their heads but I think I'd need a map, flashlight, gps and breadcrumbs!!

Quoting MIA0223:

Agreed.

Quoting dommad2:

Quoting MIA0223:

Take a pic and show it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Michelle on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Lol!

Quoting dommad2:

That's because they have no process??? I'd want to look in their heads but I think I'd need a map, flashlight, gps and breadcrumbs!!

Quoting MIA0223:

Agreed.

Quoting dommad2:

Quoting MIA0223:

Take a pic and show it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama2
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Wow that is crazy! My sons kinder teacher has a tarantula that she keeps in the classroom and she is getting a bearded dragon this year too BUT she never lets the children touch the spider! They get to watch it in its enclosure but they do not ever get to touch. And the teacher showed the parents the enclosure that the spider will be in and how she ensures that it cannot escape. I feel that she is safe about it, while the teacher in this story is an idiot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)