Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smoking?, at your kids soccer practice, REALLY?

Ya know it's bad enough that 90% of the kids around who should be in carseats, aren't. It's bad enough that so many parents around here smoke in the car with their kids but can they at least not smoke during soccer practice around my child and the other children? It's your life, smoke 20 packs a day if you want but don't make me and my kids smoke too. People can be so frigin rude and stupid. You can't wait a frigin hour to have a cigarette?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
Punkie74
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM
I was just commenting on your statement that you are free to smoke anywhere you want that doesn't say No Smoking. Sure if you are 100 feet away down wind and someone walks up that's their problem but in general just because there isn't a sign there doesn't mean it's not rude and that's the whole point of the post.

Quoting MamatoKy:

? well duh, but I was not saying about standing in front of door, I WALK OUT OF MY WAY, away from everyone to smoke. I could be by not one single person, and it never fails that a non-smoker will come stand by and say "ugh that is so gross could you put that out" and not only am I over 100 feet away from the nearest person, but that person walked up to me, knowing that I was smoking. She could have easily walked the other direction. I was there first, by myself, 100 feet away from EVERYONE else.

Now that is rude.

You dont think that we dont hear it everyday about smoking? At least when we are courteous, and walk away, dont come walking up to us expecting us to butt it out.

Quoting Punkie74:

People complain about the "rudeness" because you are doing something that affects them as well. You are not just twiddling your thumbs minding your own business. So yes if you or another smoker is standing at the front entrance to a store and I have to walk through a cloud of smoke that makes me gag to get in just because there isn't a no smoking sign there... Yes that is incredibly rude and I don't see how it's rude to complain about someone doing something toxic to mine and my family's health.

Quoting MamatoKy:

I see a lot of people saying "how rude smokers are" Did you ever think about how rude you are being complaining about people smoking in a FREE country, where as long as its outside, and it doesnt say "NO SMOKING" anywhere then we can smoke?

Now, I smoke, but I dont do it at my daughters school, I've never done it at any school game or anything. And when I do smoke outside at 'public' places I walk away from people or I'll sit in my vehicle.

I'm at least courteous enough not to smoke around other peoples children or people who I know dont smoke.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM
As with most post around cafemom, some of you are completely missing my point. I don't give 2 craps if someone smokes, smoke it up all frigin day long. DON'T SMOKE AROUND CHILDREN! Don't smoke at children's sporting events or at least go far away. These people were sitting in their fold up chairs, right along with everyone else AND their smaller children around, smoking. The smoke was everywhere and if I had walked away to get away from it, I wouldn't have been able to watch my son, is that right????

Quoting MamatoKy:

I see a lot of people saying "how rude smokers are" Did you ever think about how rude you are being complaining about people smoking in a FREE country, where as long as its outside, and it doesnt say "NO SMOKING" anywhere then we can smoke?

Now, I smoke, but I dont do it at my daughters school, I've never done it at any school game or anything. And when I do smoke outside at 'public' places I walk away from people or I'll sit in my vehicle.

I'm at least courteous enough not to smoke around other peoples children or people who I know dont smoke.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Have you not ever used ugly words when you're upset?? Sorry I'm not perfect.

Quoting lga1965:

Your  choice of words is inappropriate and more toxic than cigarette smoke outside! You are not believable when you spew obscenities. Oh,and your screen name doesn't sound at all like you.

Quoting nodramamama311:

So just because the air outside is already toxic I should just get over it and let even more toxins into mine and my childs body? OK, that makes sense. Sorry, i dont work that way.

What should happen instead of me getting over it is that smokers should be fucking respectful of people who DONT WANT TO SMOKE!

Quoting EireLass:

Isn't soccer practice outside? Get over it. Do you not allow your kids to walk on the sidewalk next to streets because of toxic fumes from cars going by?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

NOBODY in my family or inlaws or friends uses words like that....and we aren't pefect either. We just don't want to set a bad example for our kids or anyone. Its not necessary. You can be irate, really angry, and still not have to use those words. Its just inappropriate. Ick.

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting lga1965:

Your  choice of words is inappropriate and more toxic than cigarette smoke outside! You are not believable when you spew obscenities. Oh,and your screen name doesn't sound at all like you.

Quoting nodramamama311:

So just because the air outside is already toxic I should just get over it and let even more toxins into mine and my childs body? OK, that makes sense. Sorry, i dont work that way.

What should happen instead of me getting over it is that smokers should be fucking respectful of people who DONT WANT TO SMOKE!

Quoting EireLass:

Isn't soccer practice outside? Get over it. Do you not allow your kids to walk on the sidewalk next to streets because of toxic fumes from cars going by?

nodramamama311
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I see your point but I could be doings lot worse things. I could be smoking around my kids....LOL!

Quoting lga1965:

NOBODY in my family or inlaws or friends uses words like that....and we aren't pefect either. We just don't want to set a bad example for our kids or anyone. Its not necessary. You can be irate, really angry, and still not have to use those words. Its just inappropriate. Ick.

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting EireLass:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Our state has banned smoking in most public areas. I rarely see smokers anymore on a daily basis. You even have to be so far from a door when smoking outside a public building. As a non-smoker, it's kind of nice.

kitty8199
by Nicole on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Why is it too much to ask of the person smoking to walk away from the kids? Sure smoke but don't smoke next to people, especially kids.

Quoting BL2010:

Is this indoors or outside? If it's outside then why can't they smoke. Maybe you could move someplace else.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Nicole on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
This is cm, that was actually pretty mild, lol. People spew cussing on this site, but there are no kids on here so no example being set.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting EireLass:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BL2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I don't think it's to much to ask at all. I believe it's all in the way that it is asked.

Quoting kitty8199:

Why is it too much to ask of the person smoking to walk away from the kids? Sure smoke but don't smoke next to people, especially kids.

Quoting BL2010:

Is this indoors or outside? If it's outside then why can't they smoke. Maybe you could move someplace else.

kitty8199
by Nicole on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Yeah, but most places don't allow smoking anymore period near kids. Indoor or out. I guess it was the you telling her to move, that made me say it. The one with the habit needs to move. People shouldn't have to accommodate your habit. Kwim
People like that are why there are smoking bans. They need to stop forcing their habit on others.

Quoting BL2010:

I don't think it's to much to ask at all. I believe it's all in the way that it is asked.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting BL2010:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)