Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Smoking?, at your kids soccer practice, REALLY?

Ya know it's bad enough that 90% of the kids around who should be in carseats, aren't. It's bad enough that so many parents around here smoke in the car with their kids but can they at least not smoke during soccer practice around my child and the other children? It's your life, smoke 20 packs a day if you want but don't make me and my kids smoke too. People can be so frigin rude and stupid. You can't wait a frigin hour to have a cigarette?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
MamatoKy
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I'm not sure how the smokers are you in you area, but i've never seen, nor do I do myself, stand in front of buliding, restaurant, store, market, and smoke. I always walk away. Always have. But If I am outside, and there is NO sign, and NO people, then I am going to smoke there, I am not going to take the time to walk away. But I dont control the wind, so whichever way mother nature wants to blow that day, I'm not going to sit there and figure it out and make sure its being blown away from anyone.

Quoting Punkie74:

I was just commenting on your statement that you are free to smoke anywhere you want that doesn't say No Smoking. Sure if you are 100 feet away down wind and someone walks up that's their problem but in general just because there isn't a sign there doesn't mean it's not rude and that's the whole point of the post.

Quoting MamatoKy:

? well duh, but I was not saying about standing in front of door, I WALK OUT OF MY WAY, away from everyone to smoke. I could be by not one single person, and it never fails that a non-smoker will come stand by and say "ugh that is so gross could you put that out" and not only am I over 100 feet away from the nearest person, but that person walked up to me, knowing that I was smoking. She could have easily walked the other direction. I was there first, by myself, 100 feet away from EVERYONE else.

Now that is rude.

You dont think that we dont hear it everyday about smoking? At least when we are courteous, and walk away, dont come walking up to us expecting us to butt it out.

Quoting Punkie74:

People complain about the "rudeness" because you are doing something that affects them as well. You are not just twiddling your thumbs minding your own business. So yes if you or another smoker is standing at the front entrance to a store and I have to walk through a cloud of smoke that makes me gag to get in just because there isn't a no smoking sign there... Yes that is incredibly rude and I don't see how it's rude to complain about someone doing something toxic to mine and my family's health.

Quoting MamatoKy:

I see a lot of people saying "how rude smokers are" Did you ever think about how rude you are being complaining about people smoking in a FREE country, where as long as its outside, and it doesnt say "NO SMOKING" anywhere then we can smoke?

Now, I smoke, but I dont do it at my daughters school, I've never done it at any school game or anything. And when I do smoke outside at 'public' places I walk away from people or I'll sit in my vehicle.

I'm at least courteous enough not to smoke around other peoples children or people who I know dont smoke.

CafeMom Tickers
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a smoker and if an event is outside, I will smoke but I will walk away from the crowd.  Now, if a non smoker comes over to where I am, that's their tough luck.  They approched where I am smoking.  I love when people bitch about smokers and where they smoke, but like one poster asked, do you let your kids walk on a sidewalk where cars go by and they inhale the exhaust fumes?  There is so much pollution where I live but it's ok because they have to breath the air and can't get away from it?  I think people just look for things to bitch about, seriously.  BTW, I agree with the poster about the OP's screen name.......looks like LOTS of drama in your posts.........just sayin

nodramamama311
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Why is having a strong opinion about something drama? I don't understand that.

Quoting Texascandee:

I am a smoker and if an event is outside, I will smoke but I will walk away from the crowd.  Now, if a non smoker comes over to where I am, that's their tough luck.  They approched where I am smoking.  I love when people bitch about smokers and where they smoke, but like one poster asked, do you let your kids walk on a sidewalk where cars go by and they inhale the exhaust fumes?  There is so much pollution where I live but it's ok because they have to breath the air and can't get away from it?  I think people just look for things to bitch about, seriously.  BTW, I agree with the poster about the OP's screen name.......looks like LOTS of drama in your posts.........just sayin

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM
The wind is pretty easy to determine. If the smoke is blowing where others and children are... You are being rude. In my area and every other area I have lived in I have seen people in front of buildings and such smoking. Again, if there are no signs and no people that is one thing but that isn't what this post is about.

Quoting MamatoKy:

I'm not sure how the smokers are you in you area, but i've never seen, nor do I do myself, stand in front of buliding, restaurant, store, market, and smoke. I always walk away. Always have. But If I am outside, and there is NO sign, and NO people, then I am going to smoke there, I am not going to take the time to walk away. But I dont control the wind, so whichever way mother nature wants to blow that day, I'm not going to sit there and figure it out and make sure its being blown away from anyone.

Quoting Punkie74:

I was just commenting on your statement that you are free to smoke anywhere you want that doesn't say No Smoking. Sure if you are 100 feet away down wind and someone walks up that's their problem but in general just because there isn't a sign there doesn't mean it's not rude and that's the whole point of the post.

Quoting MamatoKy:

? well duh, but I was not saying about standing in front of door, I WALK OUT OF MY WAY, away from everyone to smoke. I could be by not one single person, and it never fails that a non-smoker will come stand by and say "ugh that is so gross could you put that out" and not only am I over 100 feet away from the nearest person, but that person walked up to me, knowing that I was smoking. She could have easily walked the other direction. I was there first, by myself, 100 feet away from EVERYONE else.

Now that is rude.

You dont think that we dont hear it everyday about smoking? At least when we are courteous, and walk away, dont come walking up to us expecting us to butt it out.

Quoting Punkie74:

People complain about the "rudeness" because you are doing something that affects them as well. You are not just twiddling your thumbs minding your own business. So yes if you or another smoker is standing at the front entrance to a store and I have to walk through a cloud of smoke that makes me gag to get in just because there isn't a no smoking sign there... Yes that is incredibly rude and I don't see how it's rude to complain about someone doing something toxic to mine and my family's health.

Quoting MamatoKy:

I see a lot of people saying "how rude smokers are" Did you ever think about how rude you are being complaining about people smoking in a FREE country, where as long as its outside, and it doesnt say "NO SMOKING" anywhere then we can smoke?

Now, I smoke, but I dont do it at my daughters school, I've never done it at any school game or anything. And when I do smoke outside at 'public' places I walk away from people or I'll sit in my vehicle.

I'm at least courteous enough not to smoke around other peoples children or people who I know dont smoke.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM
I agree. I have a friend that smokes two packs a day and he wont smoke around my son since I dont smoke around my son
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM
I smoke. But I walk away from people when I do, or go to a designated area. They have just as much right to be there as you do to bitch about it. You can either ask them kindly to step back and tell them the smoke is bothering you (which they may not even know) or move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Nicole on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:21 PM
People stand right in front of doors. You have no choice but to walk though the smoke. Hell people stand right next to no smoking signs puffing away.
Quoting MamatoKy:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting MamatoKy:

Now that is rude.

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting MamatoKy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM
3 moms liked this
Dh's work is a no smoking property. You have to walk a half mile to the road to smoke off property now. In the winter too in snow and bitter cold. They want everyone to quit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM
But she is offending me and probably others who dislike filthy language. It makes a person seem crude and low class.

Quoting kitty8199:

This is cm, that was actually pretty mild, lol. People spew cussing on this site, but there are no kids on here so no example being set.

Quoting lga1965:

NOBODY in my family or inlaws or friends uses words like that....and we aren't pefect either. We just don't want to set a bad example for our kids or anyone. Its not necessary. You can be irate, really angry, and still not have to use those words. Its just inappropriate. Ick.

Quoting nodramamama311:

Have you not ever used ugly words when you're upset?? Sorry I'm not perfect.

Quoting lga1965:

Your  choice of words is inappropriate and more toxic than cigarette smoke outside! You are not believable when you spew obscenities. Oh,and your screen name doesn't sound at all like you.

Quoting nodramamama311:

So just because the air outside is already toxic I should just get over it and let even more toxins into mine and my childs body? OK, that makes sense. Sorry, i dont work that way.

What should happen instead of me getting over it is that smokers should be fucking respectful of people who DONT WANT TO SMOKE!

Quoting EireLass:

Isn't soccer practice outside? Get over it. Do you not allow your kids to walk on the sidewalk next to streets because of toxic fumes from cars going by?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gabby416
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I used to smoke, outside, not right by kids, and certainly NOT at functions of anykind.  I quit, thank god.  I used to get so mad because my ex husband couldn't even make it through a family dinner with out leaving the table to smoke, would smoke with my daughter in his lap, would smoke at school at his sons footgames, right there on the side lines, ooooooooooh I fokken hated it pissed me off soo bad, I cannot tell you how many fights we got in over this.  Stupid ass.  It disgusts me when people/parents smoke around their kids.  Now I will admitt when we went on LONG long trips, sometimes I would open my window and have a smoke, to keep myself awake when driving, it's a habitt I don't miss and now find completely repulsive. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)