Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Chicago official asks Chick-fil-A to clarify gay marriage stance... ((why??))

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM
  • 8 Replies

Chicago official asks Chick-fil-A to clarify gay marriage stance

By Melissa Gray, CNN
updated 5:13 PM EDT, Sun September 23, 2012
Chicago alderman Joe Moreno is asking Chil-fil-A's president to calrify the company's stance on same-sex-marriage.
Chicago alderman Joe Moreno is asking Chil-fil-A's president to calrify the company's stance on same-sex-marriage.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • A Chicago alderman says Chick-fil-A's president contradicts what executives told him
  • The alderman says the execs assured him donations to anti-gay groups will stop
  • Company President Dan Cathy said Friday there is no change in practices
  • Cathy's comments on marriage stirred controversy earlier this year

(CNN) -- A Chicago alderman says Chick-fil-A's president is publicly contradicting what company executives personally assured him for months -- that the fast-food chain is changing its stance on gay marriage -- and he asked the company Sunday to clarify.

Alderman Joe Moreno made news last week when he announced Chick-fil-A has ceased making donations to anti-gay groups and has enacted workplace protections for its employees against discrimination.

Chick-Fil-A gets the boot
Blocking construction of Chick-fil-A

Moreno said the two concessions were the result of 10 months of negotiations he had with Chick-fil-A executives as he weighed whether to support a new Chick-fil-A restaurant in his Chicago ward. He said the executives gave him documents backing up the new positions.

How the Chick-fil-A controversy evolved

Chick-fil-A, in a statement Thursday, affirmed the workplace protections. Friday, however, company President Dan Cathy denied the company has ceased making donations to groups that oppose gay marriage and said Chick-fil-A "made no such concessions."

"There continues to be erroneous implications in the media that Chick-fil-A changed our practices and priorities in order to obtain permission for a new restaurant in Chicago," Cathy said in a statement to Mike Huckabee, the former Republican presidential candidate who now runs a conservative website. "That is incorrect."

Moreno said Sunday that Cathy's statement "at the least, muddied the progress we had made with Chick-fil-A and, at the worst, contradicted the documents and promises Chick-fil-A made to me and the community earlier this month."

Moreno said Chick-fil-A executives gave him a letter earlier this year saying the company's non-profit arm, the WinShape Foundation, will not support organizations with political agendas. "We were told that these organizations included groups that politically work against the rights of gay and lesbian people," Moreno said.

He said the executives confirmed to him that both the foundation and the company in 2012 has not given money and will not give money to those groups.

Cathy's conflicting statement, Moreno said Sunday, is "disturbing."

"I am simply asking Mr. Cathy to confirm statements and documents that HIS company executives provided to me," Moreno said in a written statement, capitalizing "his" for emphasis.

"It's pretty simple, Mr. Cathy. Do you acknowledge and support the policies that your executives outlined to me in writing or do you not? Yes or no?" the statement added.

Chick-fil-A, whose restaurants are closed on Sundays, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

While the company has never hidden its conservative principles, Cathy caused an uproar in July when, in an interview with the Baptist Press, he said the company supports "the biblical definition of the family unit."

The interview brought attention to donations the company made to organizations some activists said were anti-gay.

Gay rights activists and others denounced the company and promised a boycott, while others vowed to support the company. Huckabee suggested a "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" and thousands turned out to show their support.

Moreno said Sunday he has yet to introduce legislation for the new Chick-fil-A restaurant in his ward and will wait for Cathy's response before moving forward.

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
onefootcutiepie
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Lots of people who own companies believe in the biblically traditional family unit. I think this whole thing is ridiculous.

Punkie74
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Because the politicians in Chicago are idiots....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:32 PM

The whole thing is ridiculous, it is no one else's business what the president or the company believe as far as gay marriage or what they do with their money.   If they want to use their money to fight against gay marriage, it is their money to do it with. 

MIA0223
by Michelle on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed.
If we all actually dive in to what each company supports we would all be boycotting most things for sure!

Quoting onefootcutiepie:

Lots of people who own companies believe in the biblically traditional family unit. I think this whole thing is ridiculous.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Quoting grannie_kel:

The whole thing is ridiculous, it is no one else's business what the president or the company believe as far as gay marriage or what they do with their money.   If they want to use their money to fight against gay marriage, it is their money to do it with. 

exactly

NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this
They are a religious company. If you don't like what they stand for...don't eat there. Pretty simple. Although their food is to friggin good for me to care what they think really. They don't have to exlain anything to anyone.
The chick fil a I go to..my friend work there and he is very flamboyant and gay. He's never had issues. They do not discriminate agnist gays when hiring or serving people...so I don't see the issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twistandshout
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM

To me I don't care either way about gay people. Black, white, green, yellow we are all people and really life is too short,everyone deserves happiness. The people that own cf believe what they believe, eat there or not I wish people would just let the place be.

Godgaveme4
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Private organization does not need to explain anything to the politicians in Chicago about their personal beliefs.

I thought this was over with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)