Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

help! ds just got expander put on teeth, need advice!

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM
  • 17 Replies
Today ds got an expander with a tounge crib. He hates it! He cannot figure out how to eat with it, he cannot figure out how to talk with it, he is frustrated and just wants it out. He is crying and making me feel awful. He sucks his thumb, he is 9, and this if the solution. Add well as helping to close the football shape gap sucking his thumb has caused in his teeth. He cannot eat. What can i do toohelp him? How can he eat without it hurting or getting in the way? I want to cry too, i feel soso bad.i never had braces or anything, so i cannot understand, but i do not want him to have huge gaps in his teeth like i do, which is why we even did this. Help!!! My baby is frustrated..... :(

Edit: oh yeah, i am a monster now. On day the of extender and cage, he got a fever, ear infection, and now chills he can't stop. All bundled up i can't tell if he still has a fever or not. But family members look at me like a monster now, i did this to him and now he is sick on top of it. Being a mom isn't easy!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Unfortunately it's going to be sore for at least a couple of days. I think my son lived on pain relievers for the first 2-3 days when he got his braces on and then for tightenings. And he had 2 rounds of braces. He was much more level headed about it for his second round.

Offer him soft, easy to eat foods. Smoothies are great because you can add healthy fruit and then some protein powder. It will get easier, he just needs to give it time.

PensFan99
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Here is the expander with tounge crib. Poor guy is miserable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PensFan99
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM
What kinds of foods? I never had anything done to my teeth so i have no clue. Dh who had braces, and thought would take charge with this and help ds thru the tough parts is too busy sleeping..... (Wednesdays are bad days for him, he works odd hours, but still i could use some help here) ugh...

Quoting balagan_imma:

Unfortunately it's going to be sore for at least a couple of days. I think my son lived on pain relievers for the first 2-3 days when he got his braces on and then for tightenings. And he had 2 rounds of braces. He was much more level headed about it for his second round.

Offer him soft, easy to eat foods. Smoothies are great because you can add healthy fruit and then some protein powder. It will get easier, he just needs to give it time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM
It's going to be sore. Think about it. It's literally moving bone! Smoothies are a great option and anything that you don't have to bite into or chew. Soup, mashed potatoes, yogurt, apple sauce etc... It will start feeling better. I can guarantee my 5 year old is going to need one. Still sucks her thumb, already has a narrowed arch, elevated pallet and cross bite!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Mine likes smoothies, soups, noodles, yogurts.

PensFan99
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Considering dh had braces you would think he would know all this, but instead he suggested regular sandwiches for dinner. Of course ds had a fit saying it felt weird to bite down, not hurt but he didn't want to do it. Then i made him chef boyarde and he still would not eat it. Would not even eat ice cream until it melted. Plus he can't talk normal due to the tounge crib. I feel so bad for him, we all know how cruel kids can be. Thehe dentist said as soon as he stops with the thumb and his tongue stops pushing on those teeth the crib can come out. He has big incentive to stop with the thumb now, i hope he can. I will help him in any way. He is my baby and i feel so bad for him.

Quoting Punkie74:

It's going to be sore. Think about it. It's literally moving bone! Smoothies are a great option and anything that you don't have to bite into or chew. Soup, mashed potatoes, yogurt, apple sauce etc... It will start feeling better. I can guarantee my 5 year old is going to need one. Still sucks her thumb, already has a narrowed arch, elevated pallet and cross bite!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kriss1023
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh god, I had one of those things! I feel sorry for your son. I don't want to freak you out, but tell him he needs to be careful, I ended up with a gash in my tounge form it. It still looks like a little hole in my tounge! It was my own fault but it hurt like a...well it hurt! Do you have a key? One you have to put in it and turn every couple days or so? That's really uncomfortable! It doesn't hurt, just feels like a lot of pressure. It does get better or I guess he'll get used to it, I should say.
I recommend pain killers, ice cream or Popsicles .The cold helps numb it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ThreeTimesThePi
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My daugter had both. It gets better, I swear! Avoid anything stringy the entire time(mozzarella sticks). It can get stuck in the expander and hang into their throat. Not fun, we learned! Cut spaghetti into tiny little pieces if he has that. Otherwise, mac and cheese, soup, mashed potatoes, jello, pudding, shakes. Anything easy right now. He will figure out how to chew once the pain get better in a day or two.

PensFan99
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:53 AM
I just feel so bad for him. I didn't think it would be this bad. He kept crying last night begging me to call the dentist to take it out. I am keeping him home today from school so he had timed to get used to it, and because he had not eaten anything since lunch yesterday. Just drank melted ice cream, and a little strawberry milk. I hate seeing my baby suffer. And kids are cruel, which i think him and i both are nervous about.

Quoting ThreeTimesThePi:

My daugter had both. It gets better, I swear! Avoid anything stringy the entire time(mozzarella sticks). It can get stuck in the expander and hang into their throat. Not fun, we learned! Cut spaghetti into tiny little pieces if he has that. Otherwise, mac and cheese, soup, mashed potatoes, jello, pudding, shakes. Anything easy right now. He will figure out how to chew once the pain get better in a day or two.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PensFan99
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM
I feel bad for him. But i know my mom is acting like this is a really awful thing i had done to my son. Ugh. It is what is best for him in the long run. Yes it sucks now. I did not know his speech would be affected so much.

Quoting kriss1023:

Oh god, I had one of those things! I feel sorry for your son. I don't want to freak you out, but tell him he needs to be careful, I ended up with a gash in my tounge form it. It still looks like a little hole in my tounge! It was my own fault but it hurt like a...well it hurt! Do you have a key? One you have to put in it and turn every couple days or so? That's really uncomfortable! It doesn't hurt, just feels like a lot of pressure. It does get better or I guess he'll get used to it, I should say.

I recommend pain killers, ice cream or Popsicles .The cold helps numb it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)