Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

So upset with my son.

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 8 year old son waited until after I put him to bed to ask for a haircut. I told him no. It was after 9 and he needed his sleep more.

10 minutes later, DH heard a strange noise upstairs. He thought someone was crying. Nope. Our son took it upon himself to get the clippers out and cut his own hair. He used the clippers, without a guard.

Then, after I fixed it, he was mad that his hair was so short. (He usually gets a size 4 on top.) a complete buzz is quite a change.

So, he is grounded, and it sucks. We had plans to go bowling tomorrow and a pumpkin fest this weekend. He's not doing anything fun this weekend. Unfortunately, that means none of us are.

He is normally a very good kid. Never gets into trouble, does his chores as asked, gets very good grades, and listens well. Why he would do this is beyond me. I know it's because he is a kid, but this is the first time he has ever done something that he knew was wrong. Well, he has done things in the past, but never of this magnitude.

I'm just frusterated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyTe684
by Tasha on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:01 AM
Yikes! Have some extra coffee??? :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:03 AM
I wouldn't have grounded him for that. It's just hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:04 AM
I would have. Not over the hair itself but for disobeying me.

Quoting the3Rs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyLos
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:07 AM
Get a babysitter and the rest of you go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:07 AM
Exactly. I'm upset that he disobeyed me. He knows what he did was wrong, but he did it anyway.

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting the3Rs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Tasha on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Yup. Pretty much.

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting the3Rs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikays
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:12 AM
Sounds like something my son would do! He's 7.5 and lately he's been doing everything he wants to do without asking. Good for you for taking his fun away, maybe he will learn!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shimmifairy
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:16 AM

It happens to everyone....at least he's not a girl,LOL my daughter has done a nimber or three on her hair when she was little *sigh* Do you have anyone that can sit for you while the rest of your family goes to your fun outtings? If you all stay home, your'e all getting punished, if that makes sense....Also, being left behind is really going to make him feel grounded whereas if you all stay home it's not so much....

Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:34 AM
No one can babysit this last minute on a Friday. I realize that we are all being punished, buti can't just let him go.

I was thinking of allowing him to do extra chores to earn going bowling. We will see how his attitude is when he gets home from school.

Quoting shimmifairy:

It happens to everyone....at least he's not a girl,LOL my daughter has done a nimber or three on her hair when she was little *sigh* Do you have anyone that can sit for you while the rest of your family goes to your fun outtings? If you all stay home, your'e all getting punished, if that makes sense....Also, being left behind is really going to make him feel grounded whereas if you all stay home it's not so much....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dingysfamily
by Suzi on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:44 AM

He's showing some independence, to a point ... but you were right in grounding him, he disobeyed you.  The cutting his own hair thing, it's something most all kids do at one time or another.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)