Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Facebook...Becoming more senseless than convenient

Posted by   + Show Post

I joined facebook as a way to stay in contact with family whom I don't see very often, or some family members who I recently found out about. It was my way of connecting with those who have a blood connection with me. But as the success of facebook has increased, I am finding that people, adults and children alike, are using it as a way to instigate fights that are completely unneccessary. 

I just deactivated my account because I'm sick and tired of the "cyber behavior" of people. I mean, people are starting arguements with each other over fricking facebook! Since it is completely impossible to communicate with people anymore, facebook is officially gone from my life. No more.

Honestly, I have a friend who not-so-subtley lets everyone know when she and her huband have done the dirty deed. Just the other day, she made weird posts about having diarrhea and mixing pills with alcohol.

Anyone who's on facebook has most likely seen posts that neither use proper english or make any kind of sense whatsoever. Or, go something along the lines of this: "My stomach hurts" I'm done with all that.  I think facebook is just unneccessary. 

I apologize to anyone who adores FB, but this is my opinion. I'm certainly not going to stand by looking at the posts where someone is ignorantly attacking another person because they made a little comment. C'mon, people.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
twistandshout
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM

That is why I do not have a face book account either. Some people don't care what comes out of their mouths, it is either vulgar or tmi.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally I couldn't live without my FB I am on several hours a day everyday. It is my lifeline to the outside world, my family and friends. I am a SAHM and do in home daycare too. So I only leave the house maybe once a week if I am lucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robynlo77
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I've had some of those same problems, I just "cleaned" up my friends list!

nursemc
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I could just unfriend the people who annoy me but how would I explain to my mom why I unfriended her? :) Seriously FB has reminded me why I never stayed in contact with some people. When I first joined I thought it would be a good way to keep up to date with people I don't actually want to call. Everyone in my family would get to see pics of the kids without having to send them to everybody. it seemed like the perfect solution. But now I'm having similar issues to you. A lot of fighting and nasty comments directed from one family member to another. A lot of family members trying to bait people into fights with a lot of ignorant religious and political ramblings. I have a cousin who unfriended me because I told her that I didn't think a belief in God justified random violence. I wasn't nasty about it but she was super offended. Now I don't comment on other people's stuff much nor do I post status updates often. But I can't bring myself to deactivate my account.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM
I broke up with Facebook over two years ago and don't miss it. It caused senseless drama for me for one, and I decided that it really wasn't a good idea for me to have so much of myself out there for the world to see. No one needs to know all of my business and see my pictures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Same here. All my family live in another state. FB is the easiest way to keep in contact and up to date with my family.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Personally I couldn't live without my FB I am on several hours a day everyday. It is my lifeline to the outside world, my family and friends. I am a SAHM and do in home daycare too. So I only leave the house maybe once a week if I am lucky.

in love       girl on a swing            toddler girl

Wife to Josh  Mother to Saria        Mother to Kairi

jerzeetomato
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Exactly.  The people on my FB are those that bring me joy and I want to stay in touch.  I don't tolerate anyone's negativity or drama or pointless posts.  It's just too easy to click that mouse and remove them.

Quoting sweettigeress:

I don't have these issues either. I don't understand how you could have these issues on a site you have full control of. It makes no sense. 

Quoting MicheleJM:

This. I dont have these issues. I have one drama friend whom I ignore.

Quoting sweettigeress:

Uh...it's not facebook you should be complaining about. It's the people who are on your friends list. 

sherry132
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

You have issues with FB, but not CM? I see way more on CM than FB, but here, I see what everyone has to say, not just those I chose to have a friendship or contact with. 

sroddy1087
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Sorry all. I've spent this whole weekend moving. Anyways, let me point out that the people acting like children are not MY fb friends. They are the friends of friends. For example, a dear friend of mine is struggling and I really feel sorry for her. She put up a post and I responded that I was always going to be there for her, whenever. One of her friends (let me point out that this particular person has a history of mental issues. She hung herself at WORK and was fortunately seen in time. She's known to switch behavior in a second flat, the list goes on) tried to start something with me. 

Another example is another very good friend of mine: He's very intelligent and uses his right to free speech by expressing his opinion about political matters. I made one comment, one time. HIS fb friends started this HUGE arguement. I'm like, I agree with the guy, but you fail to realize HE'S the one ranting on about these things? I'm embarrassed for these people!

While some of the issues are with my fb friends, I just make it where I don't see anything they put. My big issues are with those who won't let anyone say anything on their mutual fb friends' pages. (I should made this more clear about the problems...sorry folks!) 

I haven't really seen anything on CM yet. If I do, I'm certainly not going to put up with it. Whether in person or throught the internet, we should respect others. I'm just saying.

juggling

Lizzys_mommy13
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not on there much anymore. I use it to talk to my friends and family back home, but that's about it. Too many stupid things on there. Scrolling down my home page I see pictures of naked people that perverted friends have "liked" and arguments that mean absolutely nothing. I hate facebook!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)