Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Facebook...Becoming more senseless than convenient

Posted by   + Show Post

I joined facebook as a way to stay in contact with family whom I don't see very often, or some family members who I recently found out about. It was my way of connecting with those who have a blood connection with me. But as the success of facebook has increased, I am finding that people, adults and children alike, are using it as a way to instigate fights that are completely unneccessary. 

I just deactivated my account because I'm sick and tired of the "cyber behavior" of people. I mean, people are starting arguements with each other over fricking facebook! Since it is completely impossible to communicate with people anymore, facebook is officially gone from my life. No more.

Honestly, I have a friend who not-so-subtley lets everyone know when she and her huband have done the dirty deed. Just the other day, she made weird posts about having diarrhea and mixing pills with alcohol.

Anyone who's on facebook has most likely seen posts that neither use proper english or make any kind of sense whatsoever. Or, go something along the lines of this: "My stomach hurts" I'm done with all that.  I think facebook is just unneccessary. 

I apologize to anyone who adores FB, but this is my opinion. I'm certainly not going to stand by looking at the posts where someone is ignorantly attacking another person because they made a little comment. C'mon, people.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
Sugar0818
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I just joined up on facebook in August. It was my birthday and family members kept wanting to get a FB page so I finally did. I have 47 "friends" and every one is a family member. I see their pages and they are at 100 friends and some a little more, some a little less. I do not accept a friend request of someone I do not personally know. Just because someone knows one of your "friends" doesn't mean you have to friend them. This I think keeps drama down. I would do what some other moms on here suggested. Delete the ones causing trouble and forget about the others. Who needs the drama.

ginnyk87
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Facebook is what you make it. You don't have to be friends with anyone. If someone is bugging you, delete them! I wish I could delete most of dh's family, but that would cause additional drama in my outside life so I keep them only for that reason!

Honestly, I'm addicted to Facebook so I have my days where I wish I would have never signed up because I'm on it too much!
storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I am not a huge user of facebook and just ignore most things.  Overall, for better and worse, the internet has provided a medium for all people to express their opinions. 

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

MicheleJM
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM
I have met or know well nearly all my fb friends. The ones idk are professional colleagues. I restrict what they see. I did have a brother of a friend who was an ass. I had to unfriend him.

Quoting sweettigeress:

I don't have these issues either. I don't understand how you could have these issues on a site you have full control of. It makes no sense. 

Quoting MicheleJM:

This. I dont have these issues. I have one drama friend whom I ignore.

Quoting sweettigeress:

Uh...it's not facebook you should be complaining about. It's the people who are on your friends list. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynniese2004
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Facebook is a waste of time for me. So is twitter and all those other sites. The world was fine before and I find that my life is better w/o it......
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM
I have never seen a fight. I have all adults on mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4kids274
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I have to fully agree with this.  Take them off your friends list OP.  THere problem solved!

Quoting sweettigeress:

Uh...it's not facebook you should be complaining about. It's the people who are on your friends list. 

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Facebook can be pretty silly with what people post.

Mom2Caterpillar
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

One of the actual USEFUL changes Facebook has made is the ability to make people "Acquaintances." That way, you don't necessarily have to see them, nor do they have to see your posts.

Personally, I think Facebook allows certain people too much freedom to say stuff. Back in the 90's when I was growing up and you had to actually speak to people or sit down and write a letter, you had to think about what you were saying and how. Now, you can write an indirect status like "Somebody's been sleeping around," and Mary, Beth, and Tom all get offended because they're actually doing it. It just lets gossipers.. Well, gossip.

Quoting ginnyk87:

Facebook is what you make it. You don't have to be friends with anyone. If someone is bugging you, delete them! I wish I could delete most of dh's family, but that would cause additional drama in my outside life so I keep them only for that reason!

Honestly, I'm addicted to Facebook so I have my days where I wish I would have never signed up because I'm on it too much!

kerryanneo
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Quoting jillbailey26:

Why not just unfriend those that are causing trouble for you?  Then you can still keep in contact and share pictures with family and friends, but not have the dramatics there.

I agree or just "hide" them if you don't want to offend anyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)