Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom arrested for letting kids play outside

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM
  • 18 Replies

Thanks to YouTube, which has helped a video clip produced by a local T.V. station go viral, the nation is hearing the story of a mom who was arrested for letting her kids play outside.

The police officer who arrested Tammy Cooper said he received a call that her children were playing in the street unsupervised. Cooper said she was sitting in a chair on her porch a few feet away at the time.

After reviewing the details of the case, the Harris County District Attorney dropped the charges, but that didn’t prevent Cooper from spending a night in jail. And now, the La Porte mom is suing the police department.

According to KPRC, Cooper said her children, ages 9 and 6, were riding their motorized scooters in a cul-de-sac when the officer arrived. At that point, she was informed a neighbor had accused her of child endangerment.

Cooper said she was handcuffed, put in the back of a police car and forced to spend 18 hours behind bars. She said police also questioned her terrified children.

“My daughter had him (the police officer) around the leg saying ‘Please, please don’t take my mom to jail. Please, she didn’t do anything wrong,’” Cooper told KPRC. 

The La Porte Police department defended its officer in a statement.

“We are confident in the known actions of the responding officers,” the department wrote. “In addition, officers did contact the Harris County District Attorney’s Office while on the scene that evening, upon which their Office accepted charges of Abandoning a Child on Ms. Cooper.”

In the video clip above, KPRC can be seen reaching out to the neighbor who reported Cooper to police. The woman declined to comment.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Why are her kids playing.in the street??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM
wth??
steveiguana
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

from the story it looks like it was a culdesac and she was on porch watching them play on motorized scooters

ayacocca
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

smh.... my thing is, if she's present watching them ride their cars in the cul de sac, is that really child endangerment?

PinkTigerLily
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
All because of nosy neighbors who don't know how to mind their damn business!!
sweettigeress
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

WTF? People need to mind their own damn business. If you don't know the whole story, keep your mouth shut. 

sweettigeress
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

They were in a cul de sac. 

Quoting atlmom2:

in love       girl on a swing            toddler girl

Wife to Josh  Mother to Saria        Mother to Kairi

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
A street is a street.

Quoting sweettigeress:

They were in a cul de sac. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

That is bullshit!!  I am not surprised though.  Parents are getting arrested on bullshit charges, while other parents who ARE neglecting, endangering and abusing their kids are left alone.

cav629
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
We sit out front on our driveway with our neighbors and let our kids ride there bikes. They know to move when a car is coming and we are right there. This is stupid. If she was out there watching I see nothing wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)