Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

8-Year-Old Girl Tells Mitt Romney What He Can 'Cut Off' (Not PBS!) What do you think of Cecelia's letter to Mitt Romney?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM
  • 11 Replies

8-Year-Old Girl Tells Mitt Romney What He Can 'Cut Off' (Not PBS!)

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on October 5, 2012 

pencil notebook I'm willing to bet that Wednesday's giant debacle of a debate was perhaps the most kid-culturally relevant Presidential debate in history -- it HAD to be the first time one of the candidates ever brought up Big Bird, at least! The silver lining to that otherwise dubious mention? If nothing else, Sesame Street-gate presented the perfect opportunity to get kids involved, or at least interested, in politics. Like 8-year-old Cecelia Crawford of Alabama, who was so outraged by Mitt Romney's promise to cut funding for PBS that she decided to write Mr. Mitt a letter. And what a letter it was!

Here's what she wrote:

Dear Mr. Romney,

I saw you on the debate last night and you said you would cut off PBS Kids with Sesame Street on it. It is was my faverite show on earth. But now I'm eight years old. When I grow up, I'm going to get married and I want my kids to watch it so do not cut it off. You find something else to cut off! Don't hurt little kids. They need Sesame Street where they can learn from it. Save Big Bird and his friends.

Sincerely,

Cecelia Arlene Crawford

How great is that?! Impassioned, informed, brave -- no doubt because her parents value independent thought and self-expression. Which is both impressive and inspirational to me. I've never tried to shield my kids from the news or dumb current events down. Granted, I might filter some of the more disturbing facts for their sake, but on the whole, it's important to me that they have some working knowledge of the way their world works.

So that they can grow up wanting to change it, of course.

What do you think of Cecelia's letter to Mitt Romney?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweettigeress
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM

He's a douche. Why would you want to cut a station that helps small children's minds grow? It's a learning channel for eff's sake. He can cut something else...like their pay checks. 

Punkie74
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Informed?? This kid thinks the government is solely funding PBS. I think her parents are assholes for letting her believe the government controls PBS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM
I bet her parents are one of the ones wanting handouts. This is anotherf election driven on handouts.

Quoting Punkie74:

Informed?? This kid thinks the government is solely funding PBS. I think her parents are assholes for letting her believe the government controls PBS.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

She is right! What a cool little girl!

There are so many great shows on PBS. I can think of a few others he can "cut off" too! TLC, for one ! That's the channel for lowbrow people who enjoy train wrecks like Honey BooBoo and "I didn't know I was pregnant" .LOL.

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I think it was a nice letter

NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Yes!!

Quoting atlmom2:

I bet her parents are one of the ones wanting handouts. This is anotherf election driven on handouts.

Quoting Punkie74:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I think it's awesome that she wrote a letter giving her opinion and seeking a reprieve for something she believes in.  I think the Country's leaders need to worry about a whole lot more than Big Bird.  And PBS and NPR will survive if their funding doesn't come from Uncle Sam.  

angelam0580
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's sad people in this country feel the government owes them a tv station... I also think it's ignorant to think pbs will go away... it will become privately or publicly owned. It's great this little girl is trying to get involved , to bad her parents haven't taught her the difference between unimportant & important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomTiara19
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM

goodAh yes a future democrat:)

~Tia

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:55 PM

It's great that she wanted to voice her opinion, but her parents were wrong. They should have had a discussion about how they felt, what can happen (become privately owned, etc). If we want our kids to be involved and learn things then we really need to educate them, not halfass educate them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN