Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I am now even more convinced we need a better way to evaluate the elderly to drive!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I was at work today and got a call from my husband. He was heading home from his chiropractor appointment and some little old lady mistook the gas for the brake and hit him and my kids! My kids are fine, I just dropped my husband at the hospital since the accident aggravated his back even more than it already was. (He was to the point of tears) I just had a patient last week seriously injured by a little old woman mistaking the gas for the break and only a few months ago an elderly woman drover her car through the nail salon by my house! They have really got to come up with a better way of evaluating who is still capable of driving!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Omg blind? She could have killed someone.

Quoting lga1965:

An 82 year old woman who still had her licnese after several other accidents rear-ended my car several years ago. (Then mine hit the one in front of me and their's hit the one in front....5 cars involved.) SHe had her license pemanently revoked after that. The Insurance agent told me she was "legally blind". Nice. SHe was driving legally blind.

MyDad was a super good and careful driver until he was 85 (but he stopped driving after he broke his hip when falling on ice) , so its hard to determine when elderly people should stop driving just by their age. Maybe a road test after age age 75? Especially if they cause an accident.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Exactly.  Bad drivers are found in all age groups.  My almost 91 y.o. grandfather (who will be taking another road test later this month, as required by the CA DMV) is an excellent driver, and I've known plenty of drivers far younger than him who should not have a license.  Age should not be the sole deciding factor in determining whether someone should be able to retain his or her license.

Quoting kaitybird:

Glad your husband and kids are okay, but it isn't just the elderly....I think everyone needs to be evaluated with the way everyone drives these days!  

opal10161973
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Oh, you mean like this man?

SOUTH LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Fourteen people, including 11 children, were injured Wednesday afternoon when a car jumped a curb outside Main Street Elementary School.

“Acts like he’s going to park, then puts the car in reverse, and comes right on the sidewalk. We lift the car up and start pulling all the kids out,” according to a man outside the school.

“I was crying, and I was nervous. I didn’t know what to do,” said a girl in the fifth grade who witnessed the accident.

11 Kids Injured When 100 Year Old Driver Crashes Near South LA Elementary School

(credit: CBS)

Police said they don’t believe that 100-year-old Preston Carter intentionally hit the children with his blue Cadillac.

“I’m really sorry about that. I wouldn’t do that for nothing on earth,” said Carter, who claims his brakes failed before the accident.

Carter’s family said he has a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.

“He’s complete of all his facilities. He get around, he lives by himself. So ain’t nobody tell him he’s too old to drive,” Carter’s relative said.

When KCAL9 reporter Dave Lopez questioned whether Carter’s age might have impacted his driving, the relative responded, “I understand that, but accidents can happen to a person at 20 years old.”

The victims were taken to three hospitals and two of them were listed in critical condition at County-USC Medical Center, KCAL9′s Suraya Fadel reported Wednesday night.

Police said none of the injuries were life-threatening.

Main Street Elementary School was scheduled to hold an information meeting for parents at 2:45 p.m. Thursday.

opal10161973
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Or how about this one?

Police in Concord are investigating a deadly crash that killed an elderly man and left a woman and young child hospitalized with injures.

According to Concord Police, the deadly collision happened around 8:18 a.m. Tuesday morning along Old Airport Road near Setter Lane.

Police say a 29-year-old woman, Casey Lynn Perkins, was driving a 2006 Chevrolet Colorado pickup, with a five-year-old girl when her truck collided with a 1999 Toyota Camry driven by 74-year-old Ray Henderson Ross.

Perkins was transported to CMC-Northeast Medical Center, where she sustained serious injuries. The five year old child was also transported to CMC-Northeast Medical Center, where she sustained minor injuries. 

The child was treated and released. 

Ross died from his injuries at the scene of the crash.   

The fatal traffic crash investigation is on-going and further questions may be directed to Major Walter Stofford at (704) 920-5009. 

opal10161973
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:16 AM

My maternal grandfather was way too old to be driving and when I found out that my Mom refused to be driving if she knew he was, I asked why.  Apparently with his dementia and eyesight going, he was really dangerous.  I was shocked and asked her why she didn't call his DR or someone and SAY SOMETHING!  She told me because it would be taking away his freedom!  I was shocked!  What about the LIVES of the OTHER people on the road?  Don't they have the freedom to make it to where they are going in one piece and alive?  She told me I can't understand until I'm older.  I hope someone takes my damn license away, if I am a danger and still try to drive!

opal10161973
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I agree.  It should be about the ability to be SAFE when driving.  IDC the age.  I also have a close family friend, who is my Mom's BF, who has MS so bad, she cannot see.  I am not talking about legally blind, she literally cannot see very well-at all.  She still drives and no one will say anything.  It's complete BS.  She is in her 60's, but I don't make the assumption that age has anything to do with it.  Blind people should not be driving. 

Quoting taniamorse85:

Exactly.  Bad drivers are found in all age groups.  My almost 91 y.o. grandfather (who will be taking another road test later this month, as required by the CA DMV) is an excellent driver, and I've known plenty of drivers far younger than him who should not have a license.  Age should not be the sole deciding factor in determining whether someone should be able to retain his or her license.

Quoting kaitybird:

Glad your husband and kids are okay, but it isn't just the elderly....I think everyone needs to be evaluated with the way everyone drives these days!  

_Kissy_
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM
My grandparents are in their 80's and wish someone would take their license. They have both drove through my fence.
Drives me crazy to see them get behind the wheel.

My mom is 52 and also drives like a maniac.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM
It is a proven fact elderly do not have reaction time anyone younger has. I would like for him to still be evaluated every year after 90, every 2 years after 70.

Quoting taniamorse85:

Quoting kaitybird:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM
More and more elderly cause preventable accidents because they should not be driving at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Sure there are plenty of bad drivers out there these days but it is proven that reflexes and mind deteriorate with age. These are accidents caused by not being able to judge distance or distinguish the break from the gas. For the vast majority of other bad drivers all they would have to do is have a little self control and not drive like an ass for the test!

Quoting kaitybird:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)