Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

I am now even more convinced we need a better way to evaluate the elderly to drive!!

Posted by   + Show Post
I was at work today and got a call from my husband. He was heading home from his chiropractor appointment and some little old lady mistook the gas for the brake and hit him and my kids! My kids are fine, I just dropped my husband at the hospital since the accident aggravated his back even more than it already was. (He was to the point of tears) I just had a patient last week seriously injured by a little old woman mistaking the gas for the break and only a few months ago an elderly woman drover her car through the nail salon by my house! They have really got to come up with a better way of evaluating who is still capable of driving!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Replies (21-23):
Punkie74
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:23 AM
That's the sad part. No one will tell them they can't drive. They don't want to give up the freedom and often kids don't want the responsibility of driving mom and dad to the grocery store and doctor!

Quoting _Kissy_:

My grandparents are in their 80's and wish someone would take their license. They have both drove through my fence.

Drives me crazy to see them get behind the wheel.

My mom is 52 and also drives like a maniac.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM
My FIL is 75. He quit a few years ago. He knew he had to. My friends FIL quit on his own 2 weeks ago. He is 83. Some are sensible, most are not and keep driving. Yes, kids won't take the keys and cars away till they cause an accident.

Quoting Punkie74:

That's the sad part. No one will tell them they can't drive. They don't want to give up the freedom and often kids don't want the responsibility of driving mom and dad to the grocery store and doctor!

Quoting _Kissy_:

My grandparents are in their 80's and wish someone would take their license. They have both drove through my fence.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM
About 6 months ago we almost had her convinced until she showed up in a 2012 Jeep liberty. Good news in that 6 mos she's only driven about 10 times. So now she has a 350 car payment and not willing to give up the keys.
I was shocked to think a dealership would sell a vehicle to an 80 yr old woman on oxygen.

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting _Kissy_:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)