Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

: "My addiction to Big Macs almost made me infertile" (w/pics)

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

My addiction to Big Macs almost made me infertile

Stephanie King
Slim pickings ... former junk food addict Stephanie King is now a size 10
Lesley Martin

FAST FOOD is a guilty pleasure for most but for one woman it became a four-year obsession that nearly ruined her chances of becoming a mum.

Stephanie King was a healthy size 12 when she took up a job at her local McDonald’s.

The 16-year-old used her meal allowance given to employees at the fast food chain to feed herself more than 4,000 calories a day — eating breakfast, lunch and dinner there.

She piled on a staggering EIGHT STONE and says she became addicted to burgers and chips, rocketing to a size 24.

Last year, at the age of 20, she weighed a whopping 19st and when her periods stopped, she was forced to admit that her obsession with Big Macs was out of control.

Stephanie King
Packing in the Big Macs ... Stephanie King hasn't eaten a McDonald's meal since weight loss

A doctor told Stephanie her diet was to blame for her severe mood swings, her obesity had caused her menstrual cycle to stop and that she was at risk of becoming infertile.

That frightened Stephanie, from Kirkcaldy, Fife, into taking action.

She embarked on a fast-food detox and has since lost an incredible 8½st and is a svelte size ten.

Now 22 and a student nurse, she says: “People need to be aware that eating a lot of junk food can be dangerous. I nearly lost my chance to be a mum. Thankfully, I managed to change.”

After completing her GCSEs, Stephanie had gone to college to study business but a year later decided the course wasn’t for her and left.

At a loss over what to do next, she applied for a job at McDonald’s.

She says: “I needed to earn some money and it seemed like an easy job with reasonable hours.”

One of the perks was a daily meal allowance.

Stephanie had always had a healthy, home-cooked diet before she began working at the fast food chain.

She says: “A takeaway or fast food meal was a treat and I only had one about once a month.”

Soon Stephanie was tucking into burgers and fries three times a day, starting at breakfast time.

Stephanie King
Big Mac 'N' size ... Stephanie King poses with mascot while working at McDonald's

On a typical day she would consume almost 4,000 calories — double the recommended amount for women.

She says: “I could choose whatever I wanted off the menu.

“I loved the Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets so I’d choose these with a McFlurry dessert, washed down with Irn-Bru, the fizzy drink sold in some McDonald’s in Scotland.”

A typical breakfast would be a sausage and egg McMuffin with large fries and for elevenses she would have an ice cream cone with a flake. Lunch would be a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder with fries and a Coke.

During her second break, Stephanie would enjoy a McFlurry ice cream.

She says: “Even when I wasn’t working, I’d ditch Mum’s home-cooking and pop in to buy a Quarter Pounder meal.

“Nothing tasted as good as a burger and chips. Within a few months I was completely addicted to junk food.

“Sometimes I’d sit down to dinner with my mum but still crave the taste of fast food so I’d get chips later in the evening.

“I just couldn’t stop myself.”

Stephanie King
Super sized ... Stephanie piled on the pounds

And with every portion of chips, the weight piled onto Stephanie’s hips.

In July 2007, just over a year after she began working at the fast food giant, Stephanie met Fraser Lawson, 25, a nurse.

While Fraser didn’t care about her size, the more weight she gained, the more insecure Stephanie felt about their relationship.

Stephanie recalls: “I was so unhappy with how I looked it really knocked my confidence.

“Because I was so miserable, I’d eat junk food for comfort. It was a vicious circle. After two years, aged 18, I was made manager but I’d piled on 5st and had to wear the men’s uniforms in an extra-large size because the ladies’ uniform didn’t fit.

“It was so embarrassing but I couldn’t stop eating.

“I would crave the salty chips and burgers as soon as I woke up.”

Stephanie feared she’d never be able to leave McDonald’s and says: “I didn’t get any jobs I applied for because my lack of confidence came across in interviews.”

In January last year things came to a head when Stephanie’s periods stopped. Her doctor said her obesity had interfered with her cycle and her unhealthy fast food diet was contributing to her overall bad health.

Stephanie King
Slim ... Stephanie King when she was 15 and a size 12

She says: “When my periods stopped I never thought it would be down to the fast food but when the doctor told me I could be infertile by 20, I was terrified.

“He also explained my mood swings had been caused by the constant surge and drop in my blood sugar levels caused by eating so much junk food. It was the wake-up call that I needed to change my lifestyle.

“Fraser and I had talked about having children one day and I wanted a family more than anything.

“I really put my mind to the dieting when I joined Scottish Slimmers. By my 21st birthday in July 2011, I’d lost 2½st.”

To add to her joy, Fraser took her away to a lodge for a long weekend — and proposed.

Stephanie says: “It was really romantic but the best part was, during that weekend my periods came back so I knew we could have a family.”

Eating a well-balanced healthy diet, Stephanie’s sugar highs and lows disappeared.

She says: “I felt happier, healthier, so much more confident. I was finally ready to leave McDonald’s and try something new.”

In August last year she did just that and enrolled on a nursing course at a local college.

Stephanie says: “I’d wanted to be a nurse for ages but hadn’t had the courage before because of my size.”

Stephanie King
Weight gain ... Stephanie King was 19 stone at her biggest

Now Stephanie weighs 10st 7lb, wears a size ten and is looking forward to a bright future. Stephanie, who admits she was naive not to realise the toll her fast food lifestyle would take on her body, says: “I haven’t had a McDonald’s meal since I left. And I have no desire for one.

“After being told I might not have kids, the thought of eating another McDonald’s doesn’t appeal to me at all.

“I still can’t believe I allowed myself to get into that state and gain more than 8st. It’s worrying how quickly you pile on the weight eating junk food.”

Now Stephanie can’t wait to have a big white wedding to Fraser and the couple are excitedly planning to tie the knot in the summer of 2014.

She says: “I would never have planned my wedding if I was a size 24 as I would have hated squeezing into dresses.

“I don’t have to worry about whether I’ll be able to find a dress that fits.

“Now I’m excited instead of petrified about walking down the aisle on my wedding day.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/4576084/My-addiction-to-Big-Macs-almost-made-me-infertile.html#ixzz28i5VjnuW

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LyTe684
by Tasha on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this
It never ceases to amaze me that people need a doctor to tell them that things that should be common sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Yikes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

agreed.

Quoting LyTe684:

It never ceases to amaze me that people need a doctor to tell them that things that should be common sense.

in love       girl on a swing            toddler girl

Wife to Josh  Mother to Saria        Mother to Kairi

SunnyJoJo
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Soooo.... wait.... eating a steady diet of junk food causes weight gain and with it other health issues????!!!
My mind has been blown.   

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I think she might be confusing the word 'infertile' with 'undesireable'.

Homeschoolmom99
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with all of you! I have a thyroid problem and so I can not lose weight and I know when we go for a treat to order a salad! My lord wait don't tell me that eating all that junk causes weight gain! Whats next that cigarettes cause cancer?

LyTe684
by Tasha on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Lol!

Quoting EireLass:

I think she might be confusing the word 'infertile' with 'undesireable'.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luzianagurl
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM

at least she realized it and did something about it...it is hard to control yourself sometimes...well it is for me anyway. i could never work at a fast food place then id be the big mac eater i bet!! love em!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)