Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD's roommate issue

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

My dd's roommate never did friend her on facebook before school started. My dd friend requested her like most kids do now.  We knew that was a red flag.

Well we were all right on the money. She is awkward, doesn't talk much except to her boyfriend who is one floor above. Blamed my dd for her not having friends or being social to the RA. What the hell. My dd is not her social supervisor? They agreed no overnight boyfriend guests unless agreed upon. Of course her boyfriend spent the night numerous times without her asking my dd so my dd went to the RA about it. She still does it but not as much. She was mad my dd took her mattress and had a "slumber party" in someone elses room. Also one night when the roommates boyfriend was staying over some of her friends suggested she sleep in their room so she took her mattress in there. DD tries. My dd really tries to get along with everyone. She was the one who would get the friendliest student award or nicest student many times at school. The girl just wants to be with her boyfriend and no one else. The RA suggested she invite her to some things so even though it isn't my dd's responsiblity she said she would but 99% of the time she is with her boyfriend so dd can't do it or she isn't in the room. My dd said they are having more normal conversations lately but my dd (who is shy too) has to initiate every conversation. DD says 1/2 their floor doesn't know her roommates name even. They just say "oh you have the roommate with the boyfriend that doesn't speak to anyone" and dd says Yep, That's me. Oh, and the roommate and her boyfriend bicker and fight all the time too which annoys my dd. You know, take it elsewhere. My dd still tolerates it and doesn't complain except to us. Thank goodness this girl isn't roommates with my oldest because she doesn't put up with crap. She is lucky she has my nice tolerate dd to room with.

My dd just wishes things were not so awkward and until this girl lightens up some, quits having her boyfriend sleep over, and starts talking some, things will continue.

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LyTe684
by Tasha on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM
What are the rules of their dorm? Is her roommate breaking any of the school rules?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Quoting LyTe684:

What are the rules of their dorm? Is her roommate breaking any of the school rules?

Technically no, but when we sign your roommate agreement that both of you agree on after talking she should ask my dd.  I mean it is common courtesy to ask if your boyfriend can sleep over when he lives one floor up especially. 

As far as my dd bring her social director, no, it is not at all my dd's responsibility to invite her or do things with her. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

sweettigeress
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Has your dd sat down with this girl and talked to her about what's going on? Just because you're roommates doesn't mean you have to be friends. Although I would be miffed about the not asking to have your boyfriend over thing. That's inconsiderate. She sounds a lot like me. (The roommate). I wouldn't talk to anybody either and if I had a boyfriend, he's the only one I was with. I don't see anything wrong with that. She shouldn't think your dd needs to entertain her though. If she wants to be more open and have fun with others she needs to try harder.

atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM
I agree, if her roommate really wants friends she needs to talk and make friends and stop blaming my dd for her issues. They did talk to the RA. She still has the boyfriend over anyway.

Quoting sweettigeress:

Has your dd sat down with this girl and talked to her about what's going on? Just because you're roommates doesn't mean you have to be friends. Although I would be miffed about the not asking to have your boyfriend over thing. That's inconsiderate. She sounds a lot like me. (The roommate). I wouldn't talk to anybody either and if I had a boyfriend, he's the only one I was with. I don't see anything wrong with that. She shouldn't think your dd needs to entertain her though. If she wants to be more open and have fun with others she needs to try harder.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:20 PM
I would be pissed if my daughter was forced to sleep in a room with a man she hardly knew! Tell the roommate to go sleep in the boyfriend's room. There has to be something she can do about keeping this man out of her room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I agree. My dd isn't the type to keep bitching though.

Quoting Punkie74:

I would be pissed if my daughter was forced to sleep in a room with a man she hardly knew! Tell the roommate to go sleep in the boyfriend's room. There has to be something she can do about keeping this man out of her room.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)