Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is it normal now a days for pedis to give Hepititas B shots to infants?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM
  • 26 Replies

So the other day, my parents came over to hang with us. My SO mentioned how Sam (our 3 month old) received shots on the 28th of September (just so happened to be when he turned 3 months).

My SO was listing off the type of shots Sam received and one of them was the Hepititas B shot.

My parents started telling us how they shouldn't have given that to Sam. How it's not healthy to give to infants and they inject a little of the Hep B in babies which means that it's in their system which means that they now have Hep B which means that they can get sick from it.

We told them that I don't think that the doctors would give him something if they knew it was harmful to the baby.

My mom told me to do some research on it to see if it's safe or not.

Sam gets a series of shots (which most infants get) and the next sets of shots he receives is when he's 6 months old, I think.

My question is is this normal? I'm asking you because my parents are over protective when it comes to their grandchildren so they tend to over react to things that may seem minor.

When he goes for his next shots should I tell his doctor that I don't want him to get the Hep B shots or is it to late to deny the shots because the Hep B is all ready in his system?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maciymommieof3
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p2081.pdf

according to the CDC... Yep!

maciymommieof3
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM

This schedule may vary depending upon where you live, your child's health, the type of vaccine, and the vaccines available. Some of the vaccines may be given as part of a combination vaccine so that your child gets fewer shots. Ask your doctor which vaccines your child should receive.

Birth

• Hep B: Hepatitis B vaccine (HBV); recommended to give the first dose at birth, but may be given at any age for those not previously immunized.

1-2 months

• Hep B: Second dose should be administered 1 to 2 months after the first dose.

2 months

• DTaP: Diphtheria, tetanus, and acellular pertussis vaccine
  • Hib: Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine
  • IPV: Inactivated poliovirus vaccine
  • PCV: Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
  • Rota: Rotavirus vaccine

4 months

• DTaP
  • Hib
  • IPV
  • PCV
  • Rota

6 months

• DTaP
  • Hib
  • PCV
  • Rota

6 months and annually

• Seasonal influenza. The vaccine is recommended every year for children 6 months and older. Kids under 9 who get a flu vaccine for the first time will receive it in two separate doses at least a month apart. Those younger than 9 who have been vaccinated in the past might still need two doses if they have not received at least two flu vaccinations since July 2010.

Kids 6 months to 5 years old are still considered the group of kids who most need the flu vaccine, but updated guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now recommend that all older kids and teens get it, too.

It's especially important for high-risk kids to be vaccinated. High-risk groups include, but aren't limited to, kids younger than 5 years old, and those with chronic medical conditions, such as asthma, heart problems, sickle cell anemia, diabetes, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

It can take up to 2 weeks after the shot is given for the body to build up immunity against the flu.  

6-18 months

• Hep B
  • IPV

12-15 months

• Hib
  • MMR: Measles, mumps, and rubella (German measles) vaccine
  • PCV
  • Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine

12-23 months

• Hep A: Hepatitis A vaccine; given as two shots at least 6 months apart

15-18 months

• DTaP

4-6 years

• DTaP
  • MMR
  • IPV
  • Varicella

11-12 years

• HPV: Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, given as 3 shots over 6 months. It's recommended for both girls and boys to prevent genital warts and certain types of cancer.
  • Tdap: Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis booster
  • MCV: Meningitis vaccine; with a booster dose at age 16

College entrants

• MCV: Meningitis vaccine; recommended for previously unvaccinated college entrants who will live in dormitories. One dose will suffice for healthy college students whose only risk factor is dormitory living.

Special circumstances

• Hepatitis A vaccine is recommended for kids 2 years and older who have not received the vaccine and are at increased risk of developing the disease. This includes kids who live in states where the disease is common or who plan to travel to countries where the disease is common.
  • Meningitis vaccine can be given to kids as young as 9 months who are at risk of contracting meningitis. This includes children with certain immune disorders as well as those who live in (or are planning to travel to) countries where meningitis is common. This vaccine also should be given to teens 13 and older who did not receive it in childhood.
  • Pneumococcal vaccines also can be given to older kids (age 2 and up) who have immunocompromising conditions, such as asplenia or HIV infection, or other conditions, like cochlear implant.

Reviewed by: Elana Pearl Ben-Joseph, MD
Date reviewed: September 2012

blondie805
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids and my grandson all got their Hep B vaccinations. It was part of the vaccinations and with everything making a huge comeback, like pertusis and who knows what, I don't dare take any chances. Call me old fashioned. My kids are perfectly healthy and have not had one disease or side effect from vaccinations.

You are perfectly within your rights to stop vaccinations at anytime. There should be no problem. Hep B is a 3 part vac.  Just make sure that you do all the research before saying no.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Both my kids got that. My belief is that unless you have a family history of bad reactions to vaccines, there's no reason not to go by the schedule. And vaccination is good. My second child had some trouble with his shots in the hospital and his first set of shots at the doctor, so we are a little behind schedule. He will be ready for all his school shots by then though. We're only a few months behind.
504bbymami
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Yup it's standard.

I refused them for my kids though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marinewife55
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:40 AM
They attempted to give my dd hep b shot at birth even though I clearly had on my birth plan no shots and that she was going to be on a delayed vaccination schedule. However they had ignored the rest of my birth plan, so yeaaah, I had to act crazy for them not to do it at birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:02 AM
If you follow the standard chart, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaeleesmommy
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I replied to your post in MC.. It's standard, unfortunately. You do have options and I suggest researching vaccines.

thanush
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Things ( and vaccines) has changed a lot in 20+ years, so while your patents concerns could be very true when they were young and had you, it may be not, today.
jerzeetomato
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Hep B has been on the schedule since my oldest was born - he's almost 19 now.  I don't advocate skipping immunizations, but I also wouldn't presume to know what is best for your family.  I can tell you that both my children received all required immunizations and they are both fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)