Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Is it normal now a days for pedis to give Hepititas B shots to infants?

Posted by   + Show Post

So the other day, my parents came over to hang with us. My SO mentioned how Sam (our 3 month old) received shots on the 28th of September (just so happened to be when he turned 3 months).

My SO was listing off the type of shots Sam received and one of them was the Hepititas B shot.

My parents started telling us how they shouldn't have given that to Sam. How it's not healthy to give to infants and they inject a little of the Hep B in babies which means that it's in their system which means that they now have Hep B which means that they can get sick from it.

We told them that I don't think that the doctors would give him something if they knew it was harmful to the baby.

My mom told me to do some research on it to see if it's safe or not.

Sam gets a series of shots (which most infants get) and the next sets of shots he receives is when he's 6 months old, I think.

My question is is this normal? I'm asking you because my parents are over protective when it comes to their grandchildren so they tend to over react to things that may seem minor.

When he goes for his next shots should I tell his doctor that I don't want him to get the Hep B shots or is it to late to deny the shots because the Hep B is all ready in his system?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Replies (21-26):
Punkie74
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM

The differance between Hep B and HIV is HIV doesn't survive long outside the body, Hep B does and that's where children are at risk. It is actually 50 times more infectious than HIV. In the countries where it is an epidemic about 10% of the cases are children so apparently they can get it fairly easily. Also children who become infected with Hep B are twice as likely to have chronic problems as a result. Again, if you choose not to vax that's fine but please don't tell people children aren't at risk.

Quoting kitty8199:

Pretty much is. Human bites with infected person, sharing a shaving razor. Children are not at risk for transmission. It is transmitted just like HIV.
But it goes away on its own. Most people (80%) never even know they had it. It's actually pretty mild. They just scare you about it telling you what happens to people who already have issues or are alcoholics. Normal healthy people do just fine with this. hep C is bad, but they don't vaccinate for that.

Quoting Punkie74:

It's transmitted through bodily fluids and due to the fact that is survives outside the body for 7 days sex and drug use are not the only ways it is transmitted.

Quoting kitty8199:

It's normal but pointless. Hep b is contracted through sex and iv drug use. Immunity lasts 10-12 years. So by the time they're old enough to be iv drug using prostitutes, they're no longer immune.

Plus hep b goes away on its own and 60-80% of people have no signs of illness.

kitty8199
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Due to mode of transmission they are not the at risk group. Countries where children are infected, are 3rd world and not comparable to conditions here. Children here have never been an at risk group. Not here in the US.

Quoting Punkie74:

The differance between Hep B and HIV is HIV doesn't survive long outside the body, Hep B does and that's where children are at risk. It is actually 50 times more infectious than HIV. In the countries where it is an epidemic about 10% of the cases are children so apparently they can get it fairly easily. Also children who become infected with Hep B are twice as likely to have chronic problems as a result. Again, if you choose not to vax that's fine but please don't tell people children aren't at risk.

Quoting kitty8199:

Pretty much is. Human bites with infected person, sharing a shaving razor. Children are not at risk for transmission. It is transmitted just like HIV.

But it goes away on its own. Most people (80%) never even know they had it. It's actually pretty mild. They just scare you about it telling you what happens to people who already have issues or are alcoholics. Normal healthy people do just fine with this. hep C is bad, but they don't vaccinate for that.

Quoting Punkie74:

It's transmitted through bodily fluids and due to the fact that is survives outside the body for 7 days sex and drug use are not the only ways it is transmitted.

Quoting kitty8199:

It's normal but pointless. Hep b is contracted through sex and iv drug use. Immunity lasts 10-12 years. So by the time they're old enough to be iv drug using prostitutes, they're no longer immune.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

China is one of the countries I was referring to and I don't believe they are considered third world. Childen in this country have it and that does put other children at risk. If you do not feel the risk is great enough for your child angain that is fine but to claim there is no risk when 1 in 20 people in this country have or have had it and it is 50 - 100 times more infectious than HIV. The idea that there is no risk is your personal opinion not fact.

Quoting kitty8199:

Due to mode of transmission they are not the at risk group. Countries where children are infected, are 3rd world and not comparable to conditions here. Children here have never been an at risk group. Not here in the US.

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

kitty8199
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM
It is a fact. Children are not an at risk group. Nor have they ever been. Healthcare workers, iv drug users, people engaging in unsafe sex, people on dialysis, people who live with sometime infected.
I'm not saying they can't get it, but they are not at risk and not likely.
How is a child in China going to put a child here at risk? Mode of transmission. You're ignoring that. You can be around someone with it, and not catch it. Casual contact does not transmit it.

Quoting Punkie74:

China is one of the countries I was referring to and I don't believe they are considered third world. Childen in this country have it and that does put other children at risk. If you do not feel the risk is great enough for your child angain that is fine but to claim there is no risk when 1 in 20 people in this country have or have had it and it is 50 - 100 times more infectious than HIV. The idea that there is no risk is your personal opinion not fact.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkie74
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Because people and children visit other countries on a regular basis. I never said children were in a HIGH risk group but they can still get it. Children are not an "at risk" group for HIV either but there are still plenty of children that have it. As for mode of transmission, you are ignoring the fact that is lives outside the body for 7 days. You have 7 days to come in contact with a bodily fluid that you don't even know is there.

Quoting kitty8199:

It is a fact. Children are not an at risk group. Nor have they ever been. Healthcare workers, iv drug users, people engaging in unsafe sex, people on dialysis, people who live with sometime infected.
How is a child in China going to put a child here at risk? Mode of transmission. You're ignoring that. You can be around someone with it, and not catch it. Casual contact does not transmit it.

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

kitty8199
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Yes it can live on a surface, but that doesn't mean touching the surface will cause you to become infected. It isn't that easy, contrary to what you are told. I was told the same i was taught it in school, i was told how horrible and scary this is. Until did my own research, and found out it isn't what they tell us. Me saying they are not an at risk group is saying routine vaccination is not needed. Sure of you are going to an area where they are at risk, sure get it.
Most children do not need this vaccine.
Quoting Punkie74:

Because people and children visit other countries on a regular basis. I never said children were in a HIGH risk group but they can still get it. Children are not an "at risk" group for HIV either but there are still plenty of children that have it. As for mode of transmission, you are ignoring the fact that is lives outside the body for 7 days. You have 7 days to come in contact with a bodily fluid that you don't even know is there.

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

Quoting Punkie74:

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN