Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Conventional or natural?? (edit)

Posted by   + Show Post
Parenting styles which one are you and why did you choose it.

CONVENTIONAL (previously 'traditional')= typically uses formula (possibly breast fed). Uses disposible diapers, vaccinates, uses stroller/babyswing/bouncers, baby sleeps in own room, circumsizes(if boys), uses many commercial products(laundry soap/tampons/hand sanitizer, ect), traditional hospital birth with meds, ect...

Natural=breastfeed/pump/donor milk, cloth diaper, wear baby, no/delay vaccines, no circ(if boys), more holistic health care, more homeade(mama cloth/laundry detergent/essential oils, ect), home birth/birthing center/no meds, homeschool, co sleep/bedshare, ect

just go with which ever catagory you MOSTLY fit. I know some might have alittle of both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I'm somewhere in between. I....

• Breastfed & Bottle fed
  • disposible diapers
  • vaccinates
  • used all those gizmos you listed
  • My son had his own room and slept in it half the time and with us the other half
  • I make my own laundry soap
  • I had a hospital birth against my will but used no meds because I put my foot down
  • I did baby wear for a good portion of the time but not always
  • We use a mixture of holistic and western medicine
  • We homeschool

What would that make us? LOL

babygomez
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Traditional. :)

ksprague

We sleep in seperate beds in the same room, and deliver at the hospital without meds and breast feed... but, i'd say traditional.

GatorsWife4Life
We are pretty traditional but I like keeping things as natural as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soontobe2
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM
3 moms liked this

I always went with what felt right. I don't like labels. 

kajira
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Natural. Extended nursing, co sleeping, selective vaccines, home birthing all natural, no circumscision, I do have a stroller, but we rarely used it, instead I mostly baby wore with my ergo union carrier... I did disposable diapers because I can't stand cloth diapers.

I homeschool my oldest, but he DID go to public school for a while, but he'a autistic and it wasn't working out so our doctor had us homeschool and he's doing much better now.

We don't generally medicate, and will do more natural things before we go the more "modern" approach.

For what it's worth, I think of your example of "traditional" as "modernized" parenting and birth, NOT traditional.

justone_jen
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I agree with this. 

Quoting birthymom4:

Natural

But to be Honest Natural IS traditional... The other should be referred to as commercial.

LoveMyKBabies
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Pretty much completely traditional...I did nurse my youngest until she was 1 though..& made baby food for my youngest when she started solids, wore her occasionally & ...well she's sleeping by me right now even though she has her own bed in another room lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM

In between but leaning more on the traditional side. I vax'd and circ'd ds and used disposable diapers and he eats processed foods and had an epidural. I bf'd a year and make my own laundry soap, co slept for 6 months (and stopped as soon as he started crawling). I did baby wearing in some instances and stroller in other. I also made a lot of his baby food and had jars as back ups.

However, my goal for future children is to give birth without inducing and without an epidural. I plan to cloth diaper in the future and extend breastfeeding further. I will continue to vax and circ, though

MamaJAG
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I am honestly almost dead middle.   I would say more natural.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN