Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Conventional or natural?? (edit)

Posted by   + Show Post
Parenting styles which one are you and why did you choose it.

CONVENTIONAL (previously 'traditional')= typically uses formula (possibly breast fed). Uses disposible diapers, vaccinates, uses stroller/babyswing/bouncers, baby sleeps in own room, circumsizes(if boys), uses many commercial products(laundry soap/tampons/hand sanitizer, ect), traditional hospital birth with meds, ect...

Natural=breastfeed/pump/donor milk, cloth diaper, wear baby, no/delay vaccines, no circ(if boys), more holistic health care, more homeade(mama cloth/laundry detergent/essential oils, ect), home birth/birthing center/no meds, homeschool, co sleep/bedshare, ect

just go with which ever catagory you MOSTLY fit. I know some might have alittle of both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Replies (501-510):
Vertical15
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I'm a mix of both but lean towards Natural.

azeventdiva
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Mostly Natural

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM
An intact penis is not hard to clean. Wipe the outside...like a finger. You should never try to retract the foreskin, it is attached to the glans. It should only be retracted by the owner of the penis. It is harder to teach a girl to properly clean her vagina. It also does not increase the spread of disease. 80% of the world is intact and have no issues. Learn your facts before spewing false information. Savingoursons.org is a great place to learn FACTS....not opinions.

Quoting supercarp:

The circumcism thing is about his future sex partners: an uncircumcized organ gathers crud in the crease and there is more of a chance of spreading a disease to someone else, plus it's smelly when not clean, and it's hard to keep clean.

You're separating things that shouldn't be separated: I didn't have meds when mine were born, but I breastfed, used disposable diapers and vaccinated. I know a woman who did the bedshare thing and her baby died.

Saerise
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Sounds like I am more conventional. But baby slept in our room, and I pumped as long as I could. We also make him clothes and stuff. Probably won't be homeschooling. I don't want to put him through having to put up with me teaching him, lol!

LucianosMom
by New Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Natural with a little bit of traditional mixed in.

FionasMommie
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Mostly natural

frankiesma530
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Mostly conventional.

MommyJ451
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Research? anybody? Based upon many discussions with my grandmother (who based her opinions upon her forebears) "natural" was basically the ONLY choice -- prior to post WWII medicine; and your "Traditional" is the post 1950's "commercialized" approach. A little historical reading supports this view; along with the benefits of (extended) breastfeeding for babies health. I elected to do it "the old fashioned way" (as much as possible). Soooo...... I refused the meds -- and suffered the extended labor... (but did use the hospital -- for "just in case" -- safety) Breastfeed -- until baby was 3 -- which helped avoid a 2nd pregnancy; and improved babies health (I think); BUT -- had to use a pump (and bottles) -- in order to return to work. Used cloth diapers (at home - except at night); but had to supply disposables for daycare (to return to work). Used warm water cleanup clothes - rather than chemical wipes; and made all our own baby food (via blender). Co-slept (at night - especially when colloquy) - but used the crib for daytime naps. I like to think -- that makes me a "better" mom; but -- the jury will stay out on that question; until my daughter becomes an adult -- and can maturely cast her vote. For a working (now single) mom -- homeschooling is "impossible!"; but -- we read together EVERY evening -- and attend a lot of museums, zoos, playgrounds, and supplemental educational activities.
MusicMuse1991
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM

conventional

mirandabader
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Hospital birth with NO pain meds, used both cloth AND disposable diapers, had a girl but would have circumcised if I had a boy, breast fed for 6 months then used soy formula, baby slept in bassinet in our room for 9 months, then her own room, used a stroller AND baby sling, delayed Hep B vaccine but not the rest, will send her to public school, use natural commercial products.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)